Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electric fan thermostat on / off temp?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Last journal entry: Dual 13 inch fan install
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric fan thermostat on / off temp?

1967 El Camino 396cid
180 degree thermostat

It has problem overheating while parked. Driving down the highway it'll sit at 180ish all day long. Get stuck in traffic and it starts to climb and doesn't stop. This was with a 6 blade fan and an aluminum radiator. So now I upgraded to dual 13 inch fans to help keep everything cool along with a 140amp alternator.

Seeing as I got dual fans it seems smart to have them come on at different temps as to not shock load the charging system. What on / off temps should I have these set for? On at 190 & 195? Have them both go off at 185?

I'm thinking that I would want the off temp to be something above my 180 degree thermostat that way they will turn off while driving down the highway and aren't needed.

Does it matter really matter if I use Radiator Probes or Threaded Probes? I'm thinking of just using Radiator probes to make the install a little easier and I don't know where I'd install 2 more threaded probes at unless they can all (the 2 controllers and my water temp gauge) run off the same sending unit.

Thank you for your help.