electric fans; how much cfm do i need? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

electric fans; how much cfm do i need?

im looking into getting one or maybe even 2 electric fans. I was thinking of shooting for around 4000 cfm. I have a 79 camaro with a built 355, 3.7:1 gears, a 31x2- in aluminum radiator. It runs hot in traffic with a 180 thermostat in it, i am running a crappy flex fan and rather than go to a solid or clutch fan i figure i might as well go electric. no ac but it does have an auto with a cooler. if i have to i will mount one fan in front and one behind then relocate my cooler. any ideas on fans or cfm ratings. thanks.if you need any other info just ask.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I was running a electric on my cutlass for a while, but I hated when I flicked the switch on, my amps would drop to 10 or 11, it also wasn`t doing the job after a while, so I just went back to a stock shroud and clutch fan, the clutch fan costs little power compared to a flex fan, since the thermal units only engauge when needed and they free wheel at cruising speeds.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

Look up the the replies to the posts by Jag Daddy. He's been asking lots of questions about fans, shrouds, etc. Yes, I too like the thermal clutch fan idea as well which works effectively with a good fan shroud. The twin fans are not only high current drawers but dam noisy to boot! However, Ford use a two speed, twin electric fan setup, complete with a shroud on some the Taurus models. Most of the cooling is achieved during low fan speed and would crank them up to a tornado if serious cooling's required.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

When going through the debate and asking questions of folks who make radiators and water pumps they all gave me the same answer ... that electric fans have come a long way and today can move a lot of air and still don't compare to a good mechanical fan fan set up. The Taurus fans are indeed powerful (and loud) but with a high pitch themal clutch fan you can move in excess of 4500 cfm which, with a shroud, is serious cooling.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
......., my amps would drop to 10 or 11, ......
To be absolutely correct it is your voltage that is dropping not your current. Also it is important where your volt meter is getting it's reading; you can get a voltage reading from any circuit in your system but that will not necessarily be a good indication of the system voltage. There can be a resistance voltage drop in a side circuit that is drawing a lot of current but the main system voltage is still fine. Volt meter tap should come off the main power feed to your fuse block. And it goes without saying, you need a good ground on the other side of the meter.

There is a lively disagreement in the auto electrical field on whether it is better to run a voltmeter or ammeter. Each side has it's good and bad points. Most important thing is to run some sort of electrical system monitor.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

I am running an after market aluminum radiator and the shrouds all fit the thing poorly. My last one got thrown away or put god knows where. does any one know any good ideas for making a custom shroud? I made a stainless steel radiator bracket but am at a loss for the shroud design. I have a few 6 blade clutch fans around i guess i would wip something up and give it a try, If any one has any other ideas do tell thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.