Electric Fans on/off - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Fans on/off

I've got electric fans hooked up and running fine. They switch on @ ~200* and then off at 180* or so. I've got the switch ignition ran to the ACC fuse under the dash. When the motor is on, the fans stay on constantly no problem when it reaches the temp. Have dual fans running on a single relay.

When I shut the car off on hot days, I turn the key back to the on position for a little while to let the fans cool down the motor some. But when it's in the on position, the fans turn on for about 30-45 sec or so, then shut off. Stay off for a minute or so, then repeats itself. I feel like this should stay on for a longer time to actually get some cooling done.

The sensor is a push in probe-style (which I know aren't the best) located at the top of the radiator right under the radiator hose. Should I move the probe to a different location? Or do these relays auto shut off when seeing just 12v? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'll answer your last first. Move the probe to either the radiator bottom tank - you can adapt the petcock fitting - or better, to a temp pickup location near the outlet of the intake manifold. Painless Wiring have a screw in probe with several adapters that works well. SUMMIT has it here.

Now, the cycling - the top tank may not always be totally full - if there is any air, that's where it will end up. Additionally, the thermostat might be cycling as well, allowing spurts of hot water as well as the normal convection flow. That probe to work correctly needs to be flooded at all times
Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I'll answer your last first. Move the probe to either the radiator bottom tank - you can adapt the petcock fitting - or better, to a temp pickup location near the outlet of the intake manifold. Painless Wiring have a screw in probe with several adapters that works well. SUMMIT has it here.

Now, the cycling - the top tank may not always be totally full - if there is any air, that's where it will end up. Additionally, the thermostat might be cycling as well, allowing spurts of hot water as well as the normal convection flow. That probe to work correctly needs to be flooded at all times
I originally was going to buy one that goes on the intake, but it only had 2 open ports and both were going to get used (stock dummy light and temp gauge for sensor). I didn't think that one all the way through to well, so got the easy probe.

I'll try it in a lower position and see if that helps. I thought it may have had to do with the coolant not being there, but figured the fins would still be hot. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-b
When I shut the car off on hot days, I turn the key back to the on position for a little while to let the fans cool down the motor some.
i debated this when i first had my truck running. my thoughts are: you won't cool the motor, only the radiator. no circulation, no motor cooling. and: other than those little 4 banger aluminium block cars, oem fans do not cycle on.

as for the sensor location: i had no optional port available. i used a short piece of ss tube in the lower rad hose, welded half a ss pipe coupling in it and placed my sensor there. i figured; let the radiator do it's job. if the coolant coming out is still hot, then turn the fan on.

ironically, i ran hrpt in 100+ heat with the ac running and had no overheating problems. after indy the weather cooled off, i turned the ac off and it spewed coolant at the first stop light. the sensor had come un-plugged.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
i debated this when i first had my truck running. my thoughts are: you won't cool the motor, only the radiator. no circulation, no motor cooling. and: other than those little 4 banger aluminium block cars, oem fans do not cycle on.
The fans still cycle the air out of the engine bay though, allowing less heat soak of parts which is why I wanted to keep them on for a little.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

This is an early photo of mine - the fan sensor is shown, the temp gauge sensor is ~2" directly behind that one and in the manifold:

Dave W
Old 07-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Ogre is right on. You are only cooling the radiator coolant not the engine. I run an electric water pump with an optional switch I can turn on after shutting down to keep circulation going and allowing the fans to do their job. Fans are connected to a circuit that is hot even when the ignition switch is off and a switch that turns on at 190 and off at 175. After shutdown it only takes about 20 seconds for complete cooldown.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Sounds like a pretty neat setup. I will try placing the sensor down low to see what happens. I was thinking of wiring it directly to the battery so it can cool down after shut off. Even if it is just coolant the way it is. I feel better. I have a cowl hood on this car and when closed and fans are on (after shutoff) you can feel the heat being pushed out of it.

I imagine since it's a relay and should ideally cut off any power, if I wire it directly to a constant source to stay on after shutdown until it hit 180*, will it have any sort of drain on the battery?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Depends on how long it runs. As I said, mine cools down really quick with both the fan & water pump running. The only thing I have to do is manually turn off the WP as it is not hooked to a temp switch. I have no trouble with battery drain.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

The water in the radiator is not isolated -- even without a pump to circulate the water, convection will effect cooling, albeit, quite a bit slower than with a pump.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.