Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electric Fuel Pump on 68 Camaro
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Thornton
Where is the best place to mount a electric fuel pump on a 1968 Camaro.
I have a new stock gas tank in place and are about to start running my fuel lines. If anyone has any pics please post them so I can see.
As close to the tank as possible. Electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. Also, use a regulator in the system. Best way is to use a regulator that has a return port to return unused fuel to the tank rather than a deadhead system that will heat the fuel and wear out the pump.

Edelbrock's instructions....
Mount a good cartridge type fuel filter between the pump and the carb. If you mount the filter between the pump and the tank, the pump will have to work harder to overcome the pressure drop of pulling through the filter and as the filter loads up with debris, it will work the pump harder. The pump can stand a little resistance on the outlet side, that's what it was designed to do.

Barry Grant instructions....
Fuel plumbing diagrams from others, including Barry Grant, show the filter between the tank and the pump.

My conclusion....
It probably doesn't matter where you put the fuel filter, so long as you keep it cleaned out regularly.

See the diagram at the bottom of this page for an example of a return line system ( BG220HR System ).
http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=85

For Holley carb, set max fuel pressure at 6 psi. For AFB/Edelbrock, set max fuel pressure at 5 psi, monitored at the fuel inlet at the carb bowl. Tee into the line there and install a mechanical 0-15 gauge with a line running back to the firewall and up behind the lip of the hood to the cowl in front of the windshield. Temporarily mount the gauge there with tie wraps/duct tape/whatever so you can see the fuel pressure through the windshield as you drive. After you get the whole mess regulated, you can remove the gauge and all will be right with the world.

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-31-2010 at 06:42 PM.