Electric fuel pump to manual pump engine.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric fuel pump to manual pump engine..

I am putting '72 model 350 in '88 model chevy truck. Was wondering if it would be better to use the stock fuel pump and step down the psi with a pressure regulator or to go with aftermarket fuel cell and manual fuel pump? Truck will be used for street/strip use. This is the first one I have built and any advise will be helpful. Thanks. If any other info is needed for an answer to this question let me know.

Alan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

If you put a stock manual fuel pump,You shouldn't have to step it down.Only if you use the one that is in the tank now.Most stock manual pumps don't use a regulator. I like to use the fuel cells,

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 02-10-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

I'm thinking you mean the stock 88 fuel pump right i would guess by then they were pretty much all electronic pumps. for me it would depend on if you plan on upgrading the engine later to need more fuel then now from making it bigger or turbo charging it. ether way if the stock one for the 88 is for a smaller engine i would suggest replacement...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 AM

Yes I apologize for not being more precise on the question. It has the stock in tank electric fuel pump. The engine has been bored and decked and running high duration high lift cam. I am assuming that the manual fuel pump would be the best way to go. What would be the most efficient place to place the after market fuel cell or can i use the stock tank? I know these questions sound really elementary but I am just getting started in this and am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

Alan
Old 02-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I converted a fuel injected blazer to a motor with a carb and used a holly regulator running one of the outlets to the carb and the other outlet with a.040 restrictor in the return line to the tank. The pump in the tank needs a return flow of gas to keep from overheating. You can use the stock feed and return lines and the setup looks clean that way. This way you won't have to use a pump on the motor and the fuel stays cooler.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Cool! Does anyone recommend a particular pressure regulator to get the psi down?

Alan
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I used a HOLLY, they come with 2 outlets one for your carb line and one for the restricted line to return to the tank. It's mandatory that you return some fuel to the tank to keep the pump cool.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyroushkolb
I converted a fuel injected blazer to a motor with a carb and used a holly regulator running one of the outlets to the carb and the other outlet with a.040 restrictor in the return line to the tank.
Great Idea Gary, I once had to fix a van that someone had retro fitted a carbed motor into.

They kept blowing regulators up and I ended up plumbing a return line to the tank out of 1/8" fuel line to add a little back pressure for the regulator.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.