Hot Rod Forum banner

Electric fuel pump to manual pump engine..

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Holder350 
#1 ·
I am putting '72 model 350 in '88 model chevy truck. Was wondering if it would be better to use the stock fuel pump and step down the psi with a pressure regulator or to go with aftermarket fuel cell and manual fuel pump? Truck will be used for street/strip use. This is the first one I have built and any advise will be helpful. Thanks. If any other info is needed for an answer to this question let me know.

Alan

#3 ·
I'm thinking you mean the stock 88 fuel pump right i would guess by then they were pretty much all electronic pumps. for me it would depend on if you plan on upgrading the engine later to need more fuel then now from making it bigger or turbo charging it. ether way if the stock one for the 88 is for a smaller engine i would suggest replacement...

#4 ·
Yes I apologize for not being more precise on the question. It has the stock in tank electric fuel pump. The engine has been bored and decked and running high duration high lift cam. I am assuming that the manual fuel pump would be the best way to go. What would be the most efficient place to place the after market fuel cell or can i use the stock tank? I know these questions sound really elementary but I am just getting started in this and am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

Alan

#5 ·
I converted a fuel injected blazer to a motor with a carb and used a holly regulator running one of the outlets to the carb and the other outlet with a.040 restrictor in the return line to the tank. The pump in the tank needs a return flow of gas to keep from overheating. You can use the stock feed and return lines and the setup looks clean that way. This way you won't have to use a pump on the motor and the fuel stays cooler.

#8 ·
garyroushkolb said:
I converted a fuel injected blazer to a motor with a carb and used a holly regulator running one of the outlets to the carb and the other outlet with a.040 restrictor in the return line to the tank.
Great Idea Gary, I once had to fix a van that someone had retro fitted a carbed motor into.

They kept blowing regulators up and I ended up plumbing a return line to the tank out of 1/8" fuel line to add a little back pressure for the regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.