electric fuel pump placement - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM
StudebakerDean

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

frame is closed

this is a 50 studebaker truck. front frame is s10, cut behind the cab and transitioning to 2x4box steel.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studedean
this is a 50 studebaker truck. front frame is s10, cut behind the cab and transitioning to 2x4box steel.
Is there any of your 2x4 frame lower than the tank, and is there any way you can run steel line to outlet on tank. even if you come out in front on top. do you have an inspection plate in bed of box. If you can't get a steel line on there you are SOL anyway and will have to use rubber which is not good.

This is one reason Studebaker never built their trucks on S-10 frames, or 2x4 frames.

If you can give me the right answers you can get it mounted.

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
StudebakerDean

Last photo:

hmmmmm

Studebaker probably should have used 2x4 3/8" thick steel frames and maybe their frame would still be here and I wouldnt be in this mess. They didnt have a choice on using s10 frames since they didnt come around for 35 years or so after this truck was made. I didnt have a rear usable frame nor could I find one. I moved the tank to the back of the vehicle because theres a transmission cross member and shortly a master cylinder and power booster in the way of where the frame mounted tank would have been. I tried to use the original frame mounted tank under the driver but it was a no go.
now in just looking to run functional fuel lines to the front of the vehicle. ive included some photos to show where im at. Hopefully this helps.
btw: photo wise, the exhaust pipe shown is not what im using, and I am going ot be looking for a solution for shocks. I have 12" from bottom of axle to top of cross member. oh and my wooden bed rests on top of that cross memeber
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 426.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	58487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 427.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	58488  
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
StudebakerDean

Last photo:

I am very appreciative....

thanks for the advise, I really do appreciate it. I generally do 55-59 chevy pickups back ot stock. I fell in love with the split windshield and traits ahead of its time on this truck, but sadly it needs quite a few things completed that I am not familiar with. I have a whole new respect for people who mix and match. It was easy to search exact parts for replacement and bolt them on. The different frame, chevy 350, ford 9" rear, etc. makes everything more difficult and requires alot more thought to complete. BUT, since everyones telling me I wont be able ot get it done, im going to get it done.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studedean
Studebaker probably should have used 2x4 3/8" thick steel frames and maybe their frame would still be here and I wouldnt be in this mess. They didnt have a choice on using s10 frames since they didnt come around for 35 years or so after this truck was made. I didnt have a rear usable frame nor could I find one. I moved the tank to the back of the vehicle because theres a transmission cross member and shortly a master cylinder and power booster in the way of where the frame mounted tank would have been. I tried to use the original frame mounted tank under the driver but it was a no go.
now in just looking to run functional fuel lines to the front of the vehicle. ive included some photos to show where im at. Hopefully this helps.
btw: photo wise, the exhaust pipe shown is not what im using, and I am going ot be looking for a solution for shocks. I have 12" from bottom of axle to top of cross member. oh and my wooden bed rests on top of that cross memeber
Well I hate to be the one that gives you the bad news, but unless you can get that pump, at least even or below the bottom of the tank, it will not work. the pumps are meant to be gravity fed. I called 2 different companies they said the same thing.

The only way I can see that working is to remount the tank. If you can weld up a box that would put the tank even or above the kick up, so the bottom of the tank is higher, you can get it to work. Unless someone knows of a pump that will pull the gas up that kick up, and if they do I'm sure the cost of the pump would be very high, like several hundred dollars.

If you can redo that tank I have a very good way to mount it on the tube frame.The only way I see how to do it, like I said is move the tank up. You have it all apart now is the time to do it.

Go to your PM'S

Bob

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.