Hot Rod Forum banner

electric fuel pump selection

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
I have a 1940 Ford with a stock small block Chevy. My second electric fuel pump has failed. It is a carter CRT-P4070 electric rotary vane. My first electric fuel pump was a bellows pump that failed due to alcohol in the fuel dissolving the bellows. I have not removed the Carter pump so I don't know why it failed. I need some recommended electric fuel pumps that hot rodders have found to be reliable. Thank you. tmmcnay@hotmail.com

#4 ·
I just got a Mallory gere rotor pump. It a 4110 roughly the same as the Holley Blue. They have 2 smaller ones if you don't need the volumn.

Several of my cruize buddies use these and have no problems with them. It's probably best to use a return but Mallory said it was not necessary with this pump as long as I use a regulator. The pump is pre set to 7 psi

These pumps are dead quiet if you soft mount them and even hard mounted there is just a faint whisper of noise.

I should have my install done Sat.

#5 ·
I have a Carter lift pump on my Dodge diesel and it now has well over 200k on it. It probably is one of the early "campain" pumps that Carter relesed after the rash of early lift pump failures with the brown truck and Fed ex trucks who all used the same Cummins 24 valve diesel.

These are exactly the same as the hotrod pumps although the diesel guys hate them. Diesel fuel is not the cleanest fuel out there and typically there is only sock in the tank for a prefilter so dirt and moisture is probably the real problem.

I took my original pump apart after it failed and found that the relief valve had totally hammered the seat down to nothing and has simply come apart. Otheres have found that the motor coupling which is plastic had come apart.

These don't make much noise as mounted on the diesel block but I don't think a couple pound fuel pump is going to make a thousand pound chunk of cast iron move very much or very fast. haha

#6 ·
Make sure you have at least a 10 micron filter ahead of your electric pump! Without a filter the contaminants in gas, or your tank will damage the electric pump. I have no return line or bypass on either of mine, and they haven't failed me, but I do have a good filter ahead of them to protect them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.