Electric fuel pump setup??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric fuel pump setup???

Ok, so I have built a new TBI gen. 1 SBC with the fuel pump drive cast shut. I am installing it into a '78 GMC Caballero and I'm trying to decide how to get fuel from the tank to the engine safely and efficiently. I have thought about splicing a small 6 psi fuel pump into the fuel line towards the rear as to push the fuel instead of pull the fuel from the tank. But I am worried about regulating the fuel pressure/volume... Will I need to run a return line back to the tank or should a low pressure pump and possibly a regulator do fine? I'm open to any ideas as I haven't chosen a path to go down yet. I'm anxious to hear some ideas! Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

If I am not mistaken, on most all fuel injected motors you need to have around 40lb of pressure. You need to have a pump capable of that kind of pressure and a return line. Do some checking on this setup before you start.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Early TBI uses 11-13 psi. 6 is too little and 40 and up is for port injection.

Back to the original question, I'd say either way should work. I like return systems as they keep the fuel system clean by constantly flushing the tank. The non-return systems keep the fuel cooler. I believe a returnless system could work if you set the regulator at 12 psi and plug the return from the throttle body. You might get some vapor lock, though, which is another plus for return systems.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Return systems also allow the pump to run at it's designed pressure as the relief valve does its job. Without a return line, you dead-head at the pumps limit. Years ago I used Holley Pro Jection, and had the pump at the rear and a return line. Worked great.

Pat
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballerokid
Ok, so I have built a new TBI gen. 1 SBC with the fuel pump drive cast shut. I am installing it into a '78 GMC Caballero and I'm trying to decide how to get fuel from the tank to the engine safely and efficiently. I have thought about splicing a small 6 psi fuel pump into the fuel line towards the rear as to push the fuel instead of pull the fuel from the tank. But I am worried about regulating the fuel pressure/volume... Will I need to run a return line back to the tank or should a low pressure pump and possibly a regulator do fine? I'm open to any ideas as I haven't chosen a path to go down yet. I'm anxious to hear some ideas! Thanks guys!
Assuming that you converted this from TBI to a carb!

For a non-high performance application a regular electric fuel pump mounted reasonably close to the fuel tank is sufficient. A return should not be required. A pump such as this http://www.truechoice.com/prodinfo.a...r=FCT%20476087 is adaquate for stock to mild V8s and is internally regulated.

The pump should be on its own fused circuit and switched to turn on with the ignition key when the engine is in the run position so that the pump is not energized when the ignition is off. best location is close to the fuel tank so that the line to the carb is pressurized rather than under suction, this eliminates the possibility of Vapor Lock from occuring and reduces the effects of acceleration on the fuel mass in the fuel line, a drag race kind of problem.

Gerotor type pumps are for high performance work where large amounts of fuel will be consumed in short periods of time see thishttp://www.truechoice.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HOL%2012-802 . These need to be regulated externally and it's not a bad idea to use a by passing regulator to keep a flow thru the pump during engine idle situations to prevent the pump from thrashing the same fuel over and over resulting in over heating the fuel in the pump cavity. Keep in mind that electric pumps of this time keep on keeping on at the same volume whether the engine is idling or screaming.

Bogie
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I didn't mention this and I should have. I have retro'd the setup to carburetion with the older style heads and intake.

Edit: I have a similar low pressure pump to the one Bogie described but I'm not sure if it is internally regulated. I'll have to check, I'm going to guess not though.

Last edited by Caballerokid; 10-06-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

What do you guys think about this pump?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 AM

Last photo:

Can't sleep........I googled that pump, most seemed to like it but 1 guy said it was "a noisy little sucker". Then another guy commented on how Carter makes a "quiet kit" for them consisting of longer bolts and rubber gromets to try and isolate the vibes. I've heard that Napa makes a very quiet pump, never used one though.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Don't dead head the pump or it will be noisy and fail due to overheating.
Get a regulator with a bypass return line and install it as close to the injectors as you can and then put the fuel pump as close to the tank. You have full pressure to the regulator so you don't have a pressure drop trying to keep the fuel line pressurized below the pump pressure.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

no injectors... carb.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I have a Big Bronco Tank in my 59 Elky.
Used an internal fuel pump from an earlier Mustang.
To the carb-- and returning to the regulator located back near the tank again.

Regulator is way back there 'cause I did not want extra stuff hanging out in the engine bay.

I believe it is an Aeroquip bypass regulator---set to 6-1/2.

Pretty sure this keeps the fuel cooler as there is no fuel 'stuck in the lines near the engine at all.

The return line runs down the back of the engine and is almost invisible
Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
More for Less Racer

The Carter pump is a pretty good choice, it is among the quietest of the vane style pumps, nothing like the noise of a Holley vane pump like the Red, Blue, and Black pumps. Mount the Carter on rubber grommets or hang it from a reinforced rubber muffler hanger and you will hardly know it is there. Very reliable pump, and you won't need a regulator.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
The Carter pump is a pretty good choice, it is among the quietest of the vane style pumps, nothing like the noise of a Holley vane pump like the Red, Blue, and Black pumps. Mount the Carter on rubber grommets or hang it from a reinforced rubber muffler hanger and you will hardly know it is there. Very reliable pump, and you won't need a regulator.
Thanks for the input everyone! Eric, that's what I was wanting to know.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballerokid
no injectors... carb.
Even more reason to use a bypass regulator. Both of my cars have electric pumps, one is an in the tank type pump and the other is mounted to a frame rail. One has a bypass regulator and the other is dead headed against two regulators.

I cant hear the in the tank pump at all and the gage right after the bypass regulator is rock steady at 6 psi and I'm told thats perfect for the carburetor I'm running.

The external is loud and jumps between 4 and 6 psi. When I can afford it I will be replacing it with a bypass regulator and newer larger pump mounted closer to or in the fuel tank.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 AM

Last photo:

When I swapped in my 462 I was anticipating fuel troubles.. I ran another 3/8" line from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump and all is well.. The trouble with mechanical fuel pumps in they need a good supply..

With electric pumps you should run a return to keep the pump cool...

It doesn't get any better then the Robbmc pump...
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products.html

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.