electric fuel pumps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 06:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

electric fuel pumps

Hi Guys Frist time using a electric fuel pump.Need to know after i turn on the pump ,it starts runs, pump fuel fine.But it keep running.Is that suppose to happen.This tank is on a street rod and does not have a return line. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Some will run all the time, some will pump up and stop until more pressure is needed. Call where you bought it and ask for the specifics.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

As long as you are carburetted and bought a standard street pump your good to go. The pump runs all the time and internally senses demand and flows on demand. Pumps for fuel injected engines need a return line and race pumps have multiple outlets and require a fuel pressure regulator also. I run a Stewart warner street pump on my 1974 350 vette and an old style Bendix pump on a 1953 ford coupe with a 351 Cleveland in it, and have no problems with either. Street pumps are usually advertised as supplying 7psi or less. If you have flooding or overly rich conditions that didn't exist before, you'll need to check the pressure at the carb and if it's (somebody out there correct me if i'm wrong. please) not in the 3-6psi range you'll need to run a regulator to bring it down. I'm sorry i'ts such a long winded answer. Hope it helps.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:41 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

If this is on a carbureted engine you should wire the pump through a relay, and oil pressure switch.
This works as follows:

Run power directly from your battery to the relay. Ground both the relay, and the fuel pump. Run a wire from the relay to the fuel pump. Now run your hot (ignition on) wire from your ignition source through an oil pressure switch to the relay.

When you turn your key on the pump won't turn on, pump your throttle the engine will start, now once you have oil pressure the pump will turn on. This is a safety feature for two reasons. If you loose oil pressure for any reason the pump will shut off, hopefully turning the engine off before it gets too much damage. Second if something happens such as a broken fuel line and the engine shuts off the pump will now shut off preventing a fire.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

That's an excellent point tech. I do have a three post safety oil pressure switch with ignition and fuel pump hooked up to it. I think the end result is the same. If not Help?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

As long as the pump only runs while the engine is runing you're good to go.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.