Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electric fule pump?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You'll get a bigger gain by going to an electric fan than by going to an electric fuel pump. Just make sure you have ENOUGH fan. Most aftermarket fans aren't strong enough. Best bet is to scrounge the junkyards for a 94-95 or so Ford Taurus fan. It has a built in shroud. You might be able to use the shroud as is, but I had to hack mine. Took a jig saw and cut the outer edges away, drilled a couple holes in what was left, and used an aftermarket fan "remount" kit (zip strips through the radiator) to mount it. Left as much of the shroud as I could, of course.

You want the two speed HD cooling fan. It's a two speed unit -- three wires going to the motor. The low speed is good for average days, but I run mine on the high speed with an aftermarket adjustable thermostat switch. The shroud is just a little loose against the radiator -- until the fan comes on! It sucks right up to the radiator like it wants to go through it! On low it barely sucks up a bit -- about like an aftermarket fan. This thing needs to be wired through a relay -- it will draw 20 amps running on high, and surge around 30 for a couple seconds on startup.

Oh yeah, if you do run an electric fuel pump, it needs to be as close to the tank as possible. It sholdn't be above tank level if you can help it either. Electric pumps are made to push more than draw. The closer to the tank and closer to tank level the longer the pump will last. That's part of the reason OEMs put them in the tank -- and cooling.