Electric fule pump? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric fule pump?

I am just wondering how big a difference an electric fule pump makes with horse power?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

The Electric fuel pump will make a more consistent fuel delivery for most circumstances. Usually where a high volume or pressure is needed. I have one on my El Camino and it keeps my Q-jet happy under WOT. Is your engine modified or near stock? Sometimes a mechanical is easiest to use.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

i like the adjustability of the electric system. you set it 6psi and its there. my old mechanical pulsed the fuel. i guess you could put a regulator on the mechanical unit too, but... you would get the parasitic recovery. at higher rpms this cam add up( 4 hp? ). also the amount that the mechanical pump puts out changes over time. in a negative way. with the electric you get that return line and you can just about kiss vapor lock good bye. id say for the hundred or so more the electric is a good viable long lasting alternative. nuff said..
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Yea the fact they remail constent is a good plus. Are there any cheaper priced electrics that are still good? By cheap I meen around $70.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

If you have a street car thats under 500hp. Theres no way I would use an elec pump. There are very good Mech pumps to choose from. They produce no noise at all! And theres no relays or wiring to fail and strand you. Nascar uses Mech pumps. Ive ran both elec and mech pumps. Im certain if you have power adders such as turbo, nitrous or supercharging elec pump is a must but for a naturally aspirated street peeler make mine mechanical.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 PM

Alright thanks for the input. Engen this would be used on would be 300-350 hp v8.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Ole Skool Greaser

Last photo:

With out a fuel regulator in front of the pump on a flathead with multi-carbs, its death to the needle and seat.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:35 PM

I'm guessing a regulator isnt a bad idea no matter what pump and stuff you have?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Flamethrower

Last photo:

I have a Holley Electric pump and it has done flawlessly. I had a Carter on the same car and the pump itself got insanely hot. it actually boiled the fuel in the pump. I do not have a return line. The holley is much quieter and pulsates less than the Carter. In hot weather I had to stay above 2000 rpm to keep from vapor locking with the Carter. No problems with the Holley. The Carter would also not keep a consistent pressure because the teperature issues.

My dad has a Mallory and it works much the same as the holley, maybe a little bit better than my Holley.

Bottom line, to get a good pump it's going to cost a hundred bucks or more.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Alright. I have never had any issues with vlock even when the temp was 105F out side. I was more interested in the hp given back by using electric compared to mech pump.

I would probably gain more hp from going to an electric fan or a flex fan.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

it would only be like 4 hp gain for a elec fuel pump.

i would not run a flex fan they are junk. use a thermostatic clutch fan. the clutch is a viscous link to the shaft,. allowing it to slip the otherwise parastic drag of a direct link type. including the flexfan style. the blades flexing offer no benefit. it owuld actually be using more energy to twist them.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM

Alright I had heard some thing along those lines and always wondered if they were true. Guess I will keep the stock fan and just paint it up nice

Would there be a big difference going from stock fan to elec fan?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:57 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You'll get a bigger gain by going to an electric fan than by going to an electric fuel pump. Just make sure you have ENOUGH fan. Most aftermarket fans aren't strong enough. Best bet is to scrounge the junkyards for a 94-95 or so Ford Taurus fan. It has a built in shroud. You might be able to use the shroud as is, but I had to hack mine. Took a jig saw and cut the outer edges away, drilled a couple holes in what was left, and used an aftermarket fan "remount" kit (zip strips through the radiator) to mount it. Left as much of the shroud as I could, of course.

You want the two speed HD cooling fan. It's a two speed unit -- three wires going to the motor. The low speed is good for average days, but I run mine on the high speed with an aftermarket adjustable thermostat switch. The shroud is just a little loose against the radiator -- until the fan comes on! It sucks right up to the radiator like it wants to go through it! On low it barely sucks up a bit -- about like an aftermarket fan. This thing needs to be wired through a relay -- it will draw 20 amps running on high, and surge around 30 for a couple seconds on startup.

Oh yeah, if you do run an electric fuel pump, it needs to be as close to the tank as possible. It sholdn't be above tank level if you can help it either. Electric pumps are made to push more than draw. The closer to the tank and closer to tank level the longer the pump will last. That's part of the reason OEMs put them in the tank -- and cooling.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Alright thanks for the info. I'm just expoloring options right now. The stock fan keeps it at about 120F watter temp even when its realy hot out so I think it dose a prity good job.

I was thinking the other day about why in the world they would put insilation on the top of the engen compartment? Isn't the point to remove heat from there? Seems to me with out the insilation the hood would act as a big heat sink and help remove the heat. Maybe the paint would get to hot or some thing?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Flamethrower

Last photo:

It's supposed to keep the hood from getting hot. It will not harm the paint without it. I have not had the insulation on mine for 3 years now. Plus it just looks bad from time.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.