electric to gas conversion compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

electric to gas conversion compressor

I have recently been given by our local boat builder a Dresser Le roi , tru 7.5 compressor with an 80 gallon tank and a monster of a pump on it. The motor burnt out on it and they had planned on replacing it but bought a new compressor instead. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert this to a gas powered compressor as I live on homestead land and do not have the necessary voltage to run the electric motor. Are there advantages of doing so and can anyone tell me what size of a motor should I go with if it is possible to do so? I will be using it mainly for blasting. Appreciate any help I can get , Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

look at the electric motor and see if they give a hp/rpm spec givin. you can change pulleys to match the rpm if different from a gas engine and i would prolly run a larger gas engine hp wise then the electric is rated it. hope this helps good luck!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

compressor

My gasoline powered construction compressor has a different unloader that the elect compressor. . the gasoline engine runs all the time and when it reaches the high pressure it has an unloader idle valve that lets the engine slow down a bit and not pump any air until the pressure in the tank drops then it starts pumping again. when it hasn't been used for a while I have it WD 40 the mechanism and make sure it works. My son gave me a 10 HP 3 phase compressor out of one of the gas stations, I have been trying to decide whether to buy a rotory phase converter or switch it to gasoline. It cost us $ 4k to get 3 phase power to one of the farm pumps and $1200 per year minimum charge. just the power co charges , not the rest of the elect work reqd.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.