Electric Impact Wrench - Are They Ok? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 07:54 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Impact Wrench - Are They Ok?

I need an impact wrench for general auto use in my garage. Don't have lots of money to spend. don't have an air compressor and tank. Want to buy electric impact wrench. Are the 1/2" electric impact wrenches (about 250 lb/ft of torque) worth getting? will they do most jobs on a car? Can I get "homeowners" cheapo model for under $75 that will last me more than a handful of times before it breaks? What about the 3/4" one instead (about 400 ft/lb). Those are found for like $75 to $100 for the cheaper ones.

thanks.

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

I use a cheap 1/2" Carquest brand to change tires at bogs. It has worked flawlessly so far.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:08 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

electric impact wrench

I own a 1/2 inch Craftsman. It has worked flawless since 1970. When I started in the trade all tools were made in the USA. I still use it to change a tire now and then.....russ
Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

I've got a 1/2" Ingersoll Rand Unit good to 450ft lbs I beleive. Came as a set with the 3/8" drive ratchet. I can tell you I would not want anything rated any less than this. I've used it the last couple of weekends to replace the struts on two cars which required removal of some seriously tight suspension bolts (some loctited in place), and the compression of spring compressors. I actually wish I had a 600lbs ft model, as one of the lugnuts on my rear wheels actually required the old breaker bar (with me jumping on the end of it). It also didn't feel like it had much left in it when it got to "max compress" on those spring compressors. It did, however, get the job done. I'm pretty sure a 250 ft lbs model would have been really struggling.

Later,

Chris
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab
I've got a 1/2" Ingersoll Rand Unit good to 450ft lbs I beleive. Came as a set with the 3/8" drive ratchet. I can tell you I would not want anything rated any less than this. I've used it the last couple of weekends to replace the struts on two cars which required removal of some seriously tight suspension bolts (some loctited in place), and the compression of spring compressors. I actually wish I had a 600lbs ft model, as one of the lugnuts on my rear wheels actually required the old breaker bar (with me jumping on the end of it). It also didn't feel like it had much left in it when it got to "max compress" on those spring compressors. It did, however, get the job done. I'm pretty sure a 250 ft lbs model would have been really struggling.

Later,

Chris
thanks Chris. Good Information. Here I was thinking that 250 to 300 ft/lbs would have been enough. I guess not.

Lee
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 PM

I have a Ryobi and it works fine. It has an adjustment to change torque setting. It was a present so I am not sure where it came from.... DAVE
Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E Shank
I have a Ryobi and it works fine. It has an adjustment to change torque setting. It was a present so I am not sure where it came from.... DAVE
it looks like I'm going to get an electric one for sure. probably a 1/2" drive. looks like they only go to about 250 ft/lbs. Not sure if that's enough torque for all situations on my car. The 3/4 drives go to about 400 ft/lbs but cost twice as much (around $100) whereas I can find generic 1/2" electric impact wrenche for $40-50 or less. I'll decide in the next couple days.

One of those spending decisions where you ask yourself the question:

"I'm only going to use it a half dozen times a year - so do I get the expensive name brand one or the cheap one?"

You don't want to pay a ton of money for something that will see very little usage, but then again when you go to use it you want to make sure it works..............

Lee
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Lee, it will probably do you for occasional jobs like rotating your tires ect, as long as you don't let someone at a garage torque them down with an air impact. A couple years ago I worked on a jeep for a lady changing front pads & rotors, I had to literally jump up & down on a 24" breaker bar to loosen the lugs. In a case like that it won't do much which is why I'm getting a better one (current one does 250-280). In the long run spending a bit more on a tool that will do the job & not frustrate you is cheaper than having to buy twice to replace a tool that won't do what you want it to. I'd try to stick with a known brand in 1/2".
Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU
Lee, it will probably do you for occasional jobs like rotating your tires ect, as long as you don't let someone at a garage torque them down with an air impact. A couple years ago I worked on a jeep for a lady changing front pads & rotors, I had to literally jump up & down on a 24" breaker bar to loosen the lugs. In a case like that it won't do much which is why I'm getting a better one (current one does 250-280). In the long run spending a bit more on a tool that will do the job & not frustrate you is cheaper than having to buy twice to replace a tool that won't do what you want it to. I'd try to stick with a known brand in 1/2".
Ok, will do. I will probably buy a used on on ebay like a Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch, etc from a reputable seller. New name brand ones are like $150 or more. It looks like I can buy a good name brand used one for about $50.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Lurker...

Last photo:

I don't know how much it costs, but I hear guys raving about rechargable Snap On impact guns.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.