Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electric power brake booster
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can't stress enough to rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
i realize this thread was started in 05, but i thought i would put
my info in for future readers.

project 58 chevy pickup: mustII front disc & 86 trans am rear disc brakes.
i wanted power brakes and a shaved firewall. hanging pedal with 12" vacume booster wouldn't work.
frame mounted 7" vacume booster didn't fit my needs (weak *** legs). original master
cylinder was under floor, frame mounted.

i found a hydroboost out of an 03 mustang gt, junkyard purchased for $100.
fabbed the bracket and made a plate to weld in my frame that the bracket would bolt to.
i used my stock swing arm and pedal.

my truck has power steering anyway, picture above is before plumbing the hydro lines.
i did not move the pivot points of the original swing arm. but i was able to cut 3" out of the pedal height,
thus lowering the pedal to the floor (remember those weak *** legs). this helped considerably.

i have only driven my truck 20 miles before putting it in the shop for the winter (and to finish the bed).
but i can tell you that they work rather well.
I can't stress enough to rebuild brake units that come from the junkyard, units are available but, their quality: depends on the mileage, and depends on how the previous drive drove the car. The Hydroboost is the one thing really what we are going all the way with for everything, but, the rubber can be swollen, and it is just so easy to get a rebuild. It is the best things since sliced bread but they should be rebuilt every 100,000 to 150,000 miles.

Be sure of the reputation of the rebuilder, because there are more than a few companies that we are aware of these days that repaint or polish up the outside of a an old unit and sell it as rebuilt (trust me on that). If you wonder why a seller has them for a fraction of what the other sellers have them for, then they are scamming you, and that goes for most things.