Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Electric power brake booster (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electric-power-brake-booster-73131.html)

Joe rodder 10-30-2005 08:23 PM

Electric power brake booster

Het guys,

Has anyone any info on a elect power brake booster for non power brake system. I was told by a buddy that there is a elect booster that is easilt adaptable to rods.

Thanks,
Joe rodder

Deuce 10-31-2005 05:48 PM

As the Moderator here, I WELCOME you..... :welcome: :welcome:

I have never heard of anything like that......I do know there is a electric vacuum pump to create acceptable levels of vacuum for boosters on vehicles with low vacuum.....MAYBE that was what he is talking about....

:)

techinspector1 11-06-2005 08:01 PM

There is a hydro-boost system that uses hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump or other pressure source. Do a search also for hydroboost, hydra-boost and hydraboost. Some of the heavier cars like Cadillac used them and they can be retro-fitted to a rod.

yesgo 11-06-2005 08:13 PM

Electric boost uses an accumulator, a pressure storage unit, operated by an electric pump. GM had one they called the 'Powermaster' for a few years in the 80s. It was discontinued due to reliablility issues I think.

There are a couple companies now with a similar product for hot rods.
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ElectricHPpage2.html

Joe rodder 11-07-2005 12:05 PM

brake booster

I guess I answered my own question,

I located a remote power brake booster that goes inline in either 7-1/4" or 8"
The remote power brake booster is available in PARR Automotive catalog
www.parrautomotive.com for the cost of $299.it does require 16 inches of vacume, and the pedal does not feel any easier, but the pressure to the brakes is a lot more. Thanks for your help guys. My ride is a chopped 36 Ford 5window coupe. may will all be able to cruise forever! Sorry, the web adress seems to be wrong, but the phone # is 1-800-654-6779

Thanks again,
Joe rodder

badhabit 08-07-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe rodder
Het guys,

Has anyone any info on a elect power brake booster for non power brake system. I was told by a buddy that there is a elect booster that is easilt adaptable to rods.

Thanks,
Joe rodder

My 93 T-bird has electric power assisted brakes on it . The booster is electric. Ford as had this as OEM for some time now.

I have not tried to put one on a streetrod yet but i will -- the only real Qusetion is the presure sensor and the ABS .

badhabit 08-07-2006 12:09 AM

93 and up T-birds and Mustangs use the electric boosters.

garyroushkolb 08-07-2006 04:45 AM

electric power brakes

I've been around a couple and they work very good. there is an electric pump and accumulator mounted remote and a rather large aluminum master cylinder to mount on the firewall or under the floor. The only minus in the formula is they are very expensive "around $1600". Go for it if you can afford it.
I'd probably would consider a Kugal for fit as they have several unique mounts for master cylinders. I'm running a foreign car master cylinder mounted in back with a long pushrod in my roadster.

DYNO MIKE 03-29-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe rodder
Het guys,

Thanks,
Joe rodder

Joe
There is such a thing and believe me it is great I'm running a 454 with a pretty aggressive cam and so the vacuum was not as much as required to run vacuum assist brakes
At the SEMA show was a new product that filled the bill it's a electric assist power brake that is firewall mount, under the dash mount or frame rail
in my case an added bonus was it gave me a ton of clearance to be able to remove BBC valve covers and not fight the boost chamber
Go to ABSPOWERBRAKE.COM and read all about it

woodz428 03-29-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhabit
93 and up T-birds and Mustangs use the electric boosters.

Are you sure about that?? I know it's an old post, but I was going to pipe in with some info regarding electric ones, which is posted above, and this caught my eye....it doesn't sound right. Gives me something to check into though. I have worked on several late Mustangs and don't recall such a thing.

DYNO MIKE 03-29-2009 05:27 PM

Go to abspowerbrake.com and read all about them

Tallon 04-11-2009 06:46 PM

hydro boosters

I was just reading the posts on hydro boosters. I was suprised at the lack of solid info. Just a few quick points junk yard boosters are prone to leak you dont know the history in most cases. You can buy a warranty booster from many sources you want a one year warranty. Look for a rebuilder that tests each booster.Rebuilders that dont test dont warranty there work. Many companies are now building mounting plates for many applications direct bolt in. To bleed a hydro booster of air you need to use ahigh quality power steering fuid not ATF. Your booster install instructions will run you through the bleeding process. And do use a filter on your boosters it will save the life of the booster.

jrfishel1 04-19-2009 07:46 PM

Electric power brake booster

FYI, my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood has an electric brake booster as factory equipment. The v-8 FWD version carries the electric booster due to limited clearance. This is a cheap way of getting power brakes for a large car (my fleetwood is quite heavy) that cannot use vacuum assist braking.

joe_padavano 04-20-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrfishel1
FYI, my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood has an electric brake booster as factory equipment. The v-8 FWD version carries the electric booster due to limited clearance. This is a cheap way of getting power brakes for a large car (my fleetwood is quite heavy) that cannot use vacuum assist braking.

That's the Powermaster system that was discussed earlier in this thread. Again, it is an electric pump that uses brake fluid to also provide hydraulic boost to the brakes. Similar in concept to the hydroboost that uses the power steering pump, but it's totally self-contained. The Powermaster system was used on a lot of GM full size cars in the 1980s and early 90s, including the Buick turbo cars. Frequently the accumulator goes bad, but it is also an easy fix.

Hot Rod Mike 06-24-2009 11:15 AM

More info

Quote:

Originally Posted by DYNO MIKE
Joe
There is such a thing and believe me it is great I'm running a 454 with a pretty aggressive cam and so the vacuum was not as much as required to run vacuum assist brakes
At the SEMA show was a new product that filled the bill it's a electric assist power brake that is firewall mount, under the dash mount or frame rail
in my case an added bonus was it gave me a ton of clearance to be able to remove BBC valve covers and not fight the boost chamber
Go to ABSPOWERBRAKE.COM and read all about it

Dyno Mike,

Hey, can you elaborate more on this ? I am interested since I will be putting a 496 BBC in my hot rod & will run a fairly aggressive cam like you stated. Do you have any comments regarding before & after stopping distances ? How about pedal feel ? Do you see any concerns w/a frame rail setup w/a remote fill can which is what I would need for my install ? Any other thoughts would be appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks,
Mike :)