Electric power brake booster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric power brake booster

Het guys,

Has anyone any info on a elect power brake booster for non power brake system. I was told by a buddy that there is a elect booster that is easilt adaptable to rods.

Thanks,
Joe rodder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

As the Moderator here, I WELCOME you.....

I have never heard of anything like that......I do know there is a electric vacuum pump to create acceptable levels of vacuum for boosters on vehicles with low vacuum.....MAYBE that was what he is talking about....

Old 11-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,090 Times in 902 Posts
There is a hydro-boost system that uses hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump or other pressure source. Do a search also for hydroboost, hydra-boost and hydraboost. Some of the heavier cars like Cadillac used them and they can be retro-fitted to a rod.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Electric boost uses an accumulator, a pressure storage unit, operated by an electric pump. GM had one they called the 'Powermaster' for a few years in the 80s. It was discontinued due to reliablility issues I think.

There are a couple companies now with a similar product for hot rods.
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ElectricHPpage2.html
Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM

brake booster

I guess I answered my own question,

I located a remote power brake booster that goes inline in either 7-1/4" or 8"
The remote power brake booster is available in PARR Automotive catalog
www.parrautomotive.com for the cost of $299.it does require 16 inches of vacume, and the pedal does not feel any easier, but the pressure to the brakes is a lot more. Thanks for your help guys. My ride is a chopped 36 Ford 5window coupe. may will all be able to cruise forever! Sorry, the web adress seems to be wrong, but the phone # is 1-800-654-6779

Thanks again,
Joe rodder
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe rodder
Het guys,

Has anyone any info on a elect power brake booster for non power brake system. I was told by a buddy that there is a elect booster that is easilt adaptable to rods.

Thanks,
Joe rodder

My 93 T-bird has electric power assisted brakes on it . The booster is electric. Ford as had this as OEM for some time now.

I have not tried to put one on a streetrod yet but i will -- the only real Qusetion is the presure sensor and the ABS .
Old 08-07-2006, 01:09 AM

93 and up T-birds and Mustangs use the electric boosters.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:45 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

electric power brakes

I've been around a couple and they work very good. there is an electric pump and accumulator mounted remote and a rather large aluminum master cylinder to mount on the firewall or under the floor. The only minus in the formula is they are very expensive "around $1600". Go for it if you can afford it.
I'd probably would consider a Kugal for fit as they have several unique mounts for master cylinders. I'm running a foreign car master cylinder mounted in back with a long pushrod in my roadster.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe rodder
Het guys,

Thanks,
Joe rodder

Joe
There is such a thing and believe me it is great I'm running a 454 with a pretty aggressive cam and so the vacuum was not as much as required to run vacuum assist brakes
At the SEMA show was a new product that filled the bill it's a electric assist power brake that is firewall mount, under the dash mount or frame rail
in my case an added bonus was it gave me a ton of clearance to be able to remove BBC valve covers and not fight the boost chamber
Go to ABSPOWERBRAKE.COM and read all about it
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit
93 and up T-birds and Mustangs use the electric boosters.
Are you sure about that?? I know it's an old post, but I was going to pipe in with some info regarding electric ones, which is posted above, and this caught my eye....it doesn't sound right. Gives me something to check into though. I have worked on several late Mustangs and don't recall such a thing.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Go to abspowerbrake.com and read all about them
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM

hydro boosters

I was just reading the posts on hydro boosters. I was suprised at the lack of solid info. Just a few quick points junk yard boosters are prone to leak you dont know the history in most cases. You can buy a warranty booster from many sources you want a one year warranty. Look for a rebuilder that tests each booster.Rebuilders that dont test dont warranty there work. Many companies are now building mounting plates for many applications direct bolt in. To bleed a hydro booster of air you need to use ahigh quality power steering fuid not ATF. Your booster install instructions will run you through the bleeding process. And do use a filter on your boosters it will save the life of the booster.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Electric power brake booster

FYI, my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood has an electric brake booster as factory equipment. The v-8 FWD version carries the electric booster due to limited clearance. This is a cheap way of getting power brakes for a large car (my fleetwood is quite heavy) that cannot use vacuum assist braking.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfishel1
FYI, my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood has an electric brake booster as factory equipment. The v-8 FWD version carries the electric booster due to limited clearance. This is a cheap way of getting power brakes for a large car (my fleetwood is quite heavy) that cannot use vacuum assist braking.
That's the Powermaster system that was discussed earlier in this thread. Again, it is an electric pump that uses brake fluid to also provide hydraulic boost to the brakes. Similar in concept to the hydroboost that uses the power steering pump, but it's totally self-contained. The Powermaster system was used on a lot of GM full size cars in the 1980s and early 90s, including the Buick turbo cars. Frequently the accumulator goes bad, but it is also an easy fix.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNO MIKE
Joe
There is such a thing and believe me it is great I'm running a 454 with a pretty aggressive cam and so the vacuum was not as much as required to run vacuum assist brakes
At the SEMA show was a new product that filled the bill it's a electric assist power brake that is firewall mount, under the dash mount or frame rail
in my case an added bonus was it gave me a ton of clearance to be able to remove BBC valve covers and not fight the boost chamber
Go to ABSPOWERBRAKE.COM and read all about it
Dyno Mike,

Hey, can you elaborate more on this ? I am interested since I will be putting a 496 BBC in my hot rod & will run a fairly aggressive cam like you stated. Do you have any comments regarding before & after stopping distances ? How about pedal feel ? Do you see any concerns w/a frame rail setup w/a remote fill can which is what I would need for my install ? Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.