Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

electric power window crank switch

24K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim816 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking into the electric power window crank switch option that allows you to use your original manual window cranks. The window goes up/down by moving the crank handle approx. 15 degrees in either direction. I've done some searching & found 3 suppliers: Autoloc ($99 ea); Watson's & also Electric Life (both approx $ 130). I like the Electric Life units as they are covered w/Delrin which I would hope would provide some weather protection.

I have a 33 Ford 3W coupe (steel). Has anyone tried these power cranks in the past ? Any vendor(s) preferred over the others ? Are you happy w/this design ?

Thanks,
Mike. :)

#2 ·
I have the electric life. They came with the wire to run thru the doors. However they were on backorder for two months, while the fellow I talked to on the phone was polite, it seemed as tho' he was re-selling from another vender as there was always one excuse after another..... mill was down, waiting on the switches from his supplier. etc...... overall happy with my installation.

#5 ·
The switches rep of the crank switches. The color codes are what I have on my application....... I always make these diagrams when I add stuff and laminate them to a master diagram of my car...... that way I know what is factory and where and what color I spliced in etc....

#6 ·
window motors/switches

I have used two '90 model Toyota motors to electrify my windows on an old Dodge pickup. Cut the handles and original crank gears off your regulators, cut the motor and gear off the Toyota regulator and weld them in place on your regulators with the gears meshed and you're set. Three $24 switches from NAPA will complete the installation in your doors. Not as hidden as the 15-degree movement switches you mention in your question, but a whole lot less expensive.

#8 ·
#9 ·
EOD Guy said:
Let us know how your install goes
I'm still looking @ options right now. I like the look of the door panel w/only the door opening handle installed, but on the other hand I'm not sure where to conveniently locate a switch for operating the windows. If I have room, I might make a console & put it there since I have a manual tranny. Still checkin' it all out for now.

Thanks for the input,
Mike. :)

#10 ·
CarGuy350z said:
FYI - both the Autoloc and Electric Life switches are foreign made (check out this info: http://the-hoffman-group.pissedcons...-for-blue-collar-america-20110124217850.html).
The Watson's unit is made by Carolina Custom, as they clearly state in their catalog and on their website - it's made in the USA. Watson's stands behind everything they sell, too. I know from experience.
Car Guy,

I'm w/you on this - try & buy American if @ all possible :thumbup: The price difference is negligible in the long run.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike :)

#14 ·
You're right on, EOD Guy. The problem is knowing which parts are good before you buy and find out the hard way. That's why I posted a reply here to begin with. Knowing WHO you are buying from is often more important than WHERE you are buying from.

Both of the foreign made kits that I referred to, by experience, are of questionable quality and are not backed up by their suppliers. (In fact, both of those kits are copies of the Carolina Custom kit which came first.) The other one is quality and is backed up by both the manufacturer and the seller that were listed. If you didn't check out that one link that I put up earlier, you might want to.

#15 ·
I tried your link.... didn't work, based on your comment above, I assume you purchased all three brands of the switches, took them apart and found the Carolina's switch to be better made as well as their customer service.
While I did purchase the Electric Life switches, and then I took them apart and found a pair of very high quality 25-30 amp micro switches encased in Delrin? (not sure how to spell it) with a large a solid pivot pin and SS mounting screws. They install very easily and had instruction on various ways to mount them if you had large holes etc….. Very happy with mine, only issue was getting them and even then the dude was very polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.