Electric Seat Hookup - HELP! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That's GREAT news! It sounds like there is one more of those leads, in each seat, that needs to see 12V+ to bring the lumbar functions to life...........
Again, thanks for giving us the updated success.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Crdnblu,

The more I thought about it... I've come this far, so I'm going to get the lumbar functions to work.

I logged a call with Dave Nova at JustAnswer.com. It's just $25.

I'll complete this thread with a final update when I get the information.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

Holy Electrons Batman!

Ok, I opened and closed a call with JustAnswer.Com and I'm done.

The passenger seat needs to be wired to the memory module under the driver's seat (#6 in seat diagram-2). Basically, I need to connect the Black/White, Pink, Orange/Purple, Tan/Black, L-Blue/Black and Pink/Black wires across the 2 main seat connectors hanging under the seats and also supply power the to Orange/Brown wire under the passenger seat (see passenger seat diagram-1 for lumbar). This should get the lumbar working on the passenger side. I'm currently out of aligator clips and will have to try this later in the week.

As for the massagers in each seat, the memory module under the driver's seat needs to think that the ignition is on (in the Cadillac DTS manual it notes that the ignition has to be on in order for the massagers to work). Dave at JustAnswer.Com didn't know how to trick this module into thinking that the ignition was on. Since he was answering an out-of-the-box question to start with, I didn't press the issue.

So, I'm happy with letting the massaging function go... and I need to move on with my life

I also need to get back to scrapping the undercoating off the bottom of the old Ford if I'm ever going to get her on the road.

p.s. If I ever go into outerspace, I'm taking this seat with me... I'm sure NASA would approve it.

SUMMARY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- DRIVER SEAT WIRING:

"+" Red/Pink, Tan/Yellow, Orange/Brown
"-" Black (the larger one)

All seat movements work (front 2 switches)
The lumbar adjustment works (round switch)
The Lumbar massaging does not work
- PASSENGER SEAT WIRING:

"+" Tan/Blue, Orange/Brown
"-" Black

All seat movements work (front 2 switches)
The lumbar adjustment should work (round switch)
The Lumbar massaging does not work
- CONNECT WIRING ACROSS TWO MAIN CONNECTORS UNDER THE SEATS:

Black/White, Pink, Orange/Purple, Tan/Black, L-Blue/Black and Pink/Black

Regards...
Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seat_diag-2.pdf (94.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: pdf Seat_diag-1.pdf (51.6 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Axis_of_Evil; 03-11-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Looking at one of your diagrams, I BELIEVE that the B+ designation @ the top of the diagram denotes "keyed" 12V. When you find that connector, check for continuity to ground on any of the connector wires. On any remaining, (it SHOULD just be one), jumper it to 12V, after everything else is connected. That should bring up your lumbar massage function, if I'm correct in understanding the diagram.

Please.......someone else chime-in here, if I'm incorrect.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
p.s. If I ever go into outerspace, I'm taking this seat with me... I'm sure NASA would approve it.
I was beginning to think along the same lines.

Whatever happened to the days of carrying a 1/2" wrench, a flat-blade screwdriver, and a point file (otherwise known as a "roadside emergency kit")?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

Good to hear you got it figured out..... well almost.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

I looked again at your seat bottom picture; I can't make out the wiring colors (orange/brown?) on the one one SINGLE wire going into one of the slots of the LONG connector attached to the front seat lip. [What are the colors?] I'd VOM it to ground to see if you have continuity; if not, this may be the one wire "looking" for a "keyed" 12V, to allow the massaging lumbar function.

Also, you didn't mention it, but does the convenience outlet, (cigarette lighter?), on the front seat edge, work?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdnblu
I looked again at your seat bottom picture; I can't make out the wiring colors (orange/brown?) on the one one SINGLE wire going into one of the slots of the LONG connector attached to the front seat lip. [What are the colors?] I'd VOM it to ground to see if you have continuity; if not, this may be the one wire "looking" for a "keyed" 12V, to allow the massaging lumbar function.

Also, you didn't mention it, but does the convenience outlet, (cigarette lighter?), on the front seat edge, work?
--------------------
Crdnblu,

I'm not sure what that wire is... the original wiring diagram I posted is hard to map into the actual seat. There are too many connectors, changing wire colors and electrical tape.

I took part of advice from JustAnswer.Com and hooked up the "+" Tan/Blue, Orange/Brown "-" Black (BUT NOT THE WIRES BETWEEN THE 2 SEATS)... and the passenger switch started smoking (no damage luckily).

At that point I threw in the towel and said all movement switches for both seats work and the lumbar for the driver's seat. So, I'm finished... that's good enoughf for me.

Thanks again for your assistance!

p.s. the convenience outlet is for a 12V accessory (not a lighter) and it is not hooked up.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis_of_Evil
--------------------
Crdnblu,

I'm not sure what that wire is... the original wiring diagram I posted is hard to map into the actual seat. There are too many connectors, changing wire colors and electrical tape.

I took part of advice from JustAnswer.Com and hooked up the "+" Tan/Blue, Orange/Brown "-" Black (BUT NOT THE WIRES BETWEEN THE 2 SEATS)... and the passenger switch started smoking (no damage luckily).

At that point I threw in the towel and said all movement switches for both seats work and the lumbar for the driver's seat. So, I'm finished... that's good enoughf for me.

Thanks again for your assistance!

p.s. the convenience outlet is for a 12V accessory (not a lighter) and it is not hooked up.

p.p.s. -- I forgot to answer your question.. the wire is Red/Tan.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Can't get seats to work????

I am getting ready to put a couple of front bucket seats from a 2007 Cadillac DTS into my '50 Ford. The controls are on the side of these seats.

I've attached a picture of the underside of the driver seat and the electric diagram that a friend printed off for me.

I have tried to use the RD/PK wire in the main connector (red arrow) as the positive, and the black wire in the main connector as the ground to a 12 volt battery with no luck (nothing happens).

I don't know much about electronics and don't want to BBQ the seat's controls..... any suggestions?

Thanks!
Axis

Good morning and Happy Easter to you......I have read your post.....and I am looking to do the exact same thing as you have attempted but.....in my 57 pickup.......the seats I have are from a 06 CTS.....were you eventually successful in your wiring process.......and if so can you please offer me some tips.....although the seats are fully loaded I am mainly interested in the forward, backward. and up and down motions of the seats.......Thanks.....
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
------------
Crdnblu,

Again, thanks for the info and owner's manual!

I finished checking continuity on the large connector on the driver seat (the only other connector is the small yellow connector for the seat airbag), and found only one wire TN/RD that has continuity (I was incorrect in my earlier response about the grey wire).

I'll try to retrieve and check the passenger seat tomorrow (assuming not too much rain here). Hopefully it will be simpler and will work with just power and ground wires attached to a battery.

In any event, I will also try to get the detailed wiring diagram from a Cadillac dealership. Assuming I'm able to get a detailed wiring diagram, then what would be the basic game plan (you had mentioned jumpering some wires to bypass driver side memory)?

I just need to get the basic seat movements/motors to work on the driver's seat? I'm not interested in the heat or massaging Lumbar capabilities (mine does have these but not the seat cooling/ac feature).

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Rob

Hey Rob.......did you have any success and if so.......would you mind sharing your experience....I am also only interested in having the movement of the seats as well.......thanks

Will
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyshome
Good morning and Happy Easter to you......I have read your post.....and I am looking to do the exact same thing as you have attempted but.....in my 57 pickup.......the seats I have are from a 06 CTS.....were you eventually successful in your wiring process.......and if so can you please offer me some tips.....although the seats are fully loaded I am mainly interested in the forward, backward. and up and down motions of the seats.......Thanks.....
-------------------------
Happy Easter to you too!

I was able to get all seat movement switches/functions to work plus the lumbar in the driver seat as detailed in this thread by using only a few of the many wires contained under the seats.

The passenger lumbar, lumbar massage in driver and passenger and heaters in driver and passenger seats aren't working/hooked up. I happy with this.

You may get lucky and the CTS wiring may be the same/similar to the DTS'.

Also, I would test the wires with a basic 12V car battery. I started out with a battery charger and it didn't have enough power to work the seat motors.

SUMMARY OF WIRING (SPLICE INTO OR ATTACH TO PINOUTS IN MAIN LARGE CONNECTOR UNDER SEAT):
------------------------------------------
-> DRIVER SEAT:

positive wire to Red/Pink, Tan/Yellow, Orange/Brown
ground wire to Black (the larger one)

-> PASSENGER SEAT:

positive wire to Tan/Blue
ground wire to Black
------------------------------------------
Regards,
Rob

Last edited by Axis_of_Evil; 04-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Hey thanks Rob...........I do appreciate it.......and hopefully you and your family are ok from this weekenk tornadoes down there.......Will
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)
Last photo:

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to mounting the seats. Any help is appreciated.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.