Electric Seat Hookup - HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Seat Hookup - HELP!

Can't get seats to work????

I am getting ready to put a couple of front bucket seats from a 2007 Cadillac DTS into my '50 Ford. The controls are on the side of these seats.

I've attached a picture of the underside of the driver seat and the electric diagram that a friend printed off for me.

I have tried to use the RD/PK wire in the main connector (red arrow) as the positive, and the black wire in the main connector as the ground to a 12 volt battery with no luck (nothing happens).

I don't know much about electronics and don't want to BBQ the seat's controls..... any suggestions?

Thanks!
Axis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1203100001a.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	63891   Click image for larger version

Name:	1203100003.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	63894  

Advertisement

Last edited by Axis_of_Evil; 03-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

I would suspect that if the black wire in the plug assembly is in fact the ground, it would be the same gauge wire size (large)as the RD/PK power wire.

Is it possible that the individual motors are grounded locally to the steel seat frame and the seat frame in turn is grounded to the vehicle frame when the seat is bolted in place?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptup32
I would suspect that if the black wire in the plug assembly is in fact the ground, it would be the same gauge wire size (large)as the RD/PK power wire.

Is it possible that the individual motors are grounded locally to the steel seat frame and the seat frame in turn is grounded to the vehicle frame when the seat is bolted in place?

----------

Hoptup32,

Thanks for the quick reply!

There are 2 black wires in the plug assembly and one is larger (gauge) than the other. The larger black wire is the same gauge as the RD/PK wire.

I tried hooking both black wires to the negative side of the 12 volt battery when testing the seat switches... nothing happened in either case.

Also, I tried to ground the negative side of the 12 volt battery to the seat frame, thinking like you, that maybe the motors were grounded to the seat/vehicle frame... still nothing?

It's amazing how many wires, connections, etc are contained in the bottom of the seat... also parts from China, Phillipines, Canada and US.

I know this can't be that hard... just need to hook into a power source... hmmmm???

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Curious.......How many other wires, & what are their colors are in that connector? The two that you have identified are correct for the power, & ground connections, however, the others in the connector may need to be addressed as they may be part of the Cadillac inter-loc system.
Give us the wire color markings, plus, with your VOM, check to see if any of them (the other wires), have continuity to ground.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

I forgot to ask; does the passenger seat operate with just the power, & ground wire connected? If yes, the issue for the driver's seat may be due to the memory seat function in the factory configuration. The connector info (& the differences in the passenger seat connector) will help us figure out the needed wiring.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdnblu
I forgot to ask; does the passenger seat operate with just the power, & ground wire connected? If yes, the issue for the driver's seat may be due to the memory seat function in the factory configuration. The connector info (& the differences in the passenger seat connector) will help us figure out the needed wiring.
-----------
Crdnblu,

Thanks for the help!!

I only have the driver's seat at the house at the moment (I'm working on the car in my garage)... the passenger seat is in storage facility.

I assume both of these seats are working, they were just removed from a wrecked Cadillac. I bought them after they were removed, so I did not get to see them work. Both seats are in great shape.

This is my first attempt to see if they (the driver's seat) work.

As for the other wires in the main connector of the driver's seat... there are approx 40... all colors of the rainbow, and then some.

I found my multimeter (which I've never really known how to use), had to borrow a 9v battery from another device (battery was dead in the multimeter).

I started testing for continuity with the black (ground pin) wire in the main connector. After testing 4 or 5 wires, I found 1 that had continuity... it was a grey wire. So, what does this mean? (I haven't tested the other 35 or so wires yet).

p.s. there seems to be a lot more wires in the seat than on the wiring diagram my friend gave me?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Yep, you're going to NEED some help on this one. First, I would visit your nearest friendly Cadillac parts dealer to obtain copies of a 2007 wiring diagram for your seat(s). [driver's, & passenger diagrams are different]! You may have to pay $, but it will be worth it in the long run. If no help there, join a Cadillac owners forum, & see what you can obtain as far as wiring diagrams.

Secondly, I would START with the passenger seat; they are MUCH easier to figure out (with/without a wiring diagram). From the size/number of wires in that driver's seat connector, Cadillac might have gone to one (1) connector for all the seat functions (memory, heat, etc.), where they used to have multiple connectors. The '94 Eldorado seats that I have use multiple connectors. The passenger seat was straight-forward; the driver's seat required some jumper connectors to by-pass the memory module.........
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Take a look @ the attached PDF file of the 2007 Owner's Manual; you'll see the added controls that are NOT on the seat(s), but on the door panel, controlled by being in "park", etc. That's why there are SO MANY wires in that driver's seat connector, going back to the body/chassis, where the switches/controls reside:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...dts_owners.pdf

VERY hard to trace w/o a wiring/color-code diagram.....
Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdnblu
Take a look @ the attached PDF file of the 2007 Owner's Manual; you'll see the added controls that are NOT on the seat(s), but on the door panel, controlled by being in "park", etc. That's why there are SO MANY wires in that driver's seat connector, going back to the body/chassis, where the switches/controls reside:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...dts_owners.pdf

VERY hard to trace w/o a wiring/color-code diagram.....
------------
Crdnblu,

Again, thanks for the info and owner's manual!

I finished checking continuity on the large connector on the driver seat (the only other connector is the small yellow connector for the seat airbag), and found only one wire TN/RD that has continuity (I was incorrect in my earlier response about the grey wire).

I'll try to retrieve and check the passenger seat tomorrow (assuming not too much rain here). Hopefully it will be simpler and will work with just power and ground wires attached to a battery.

In any event, I will also try to get the detailed wiring diagram from a Cadillac dealership. Assuming I'm able to get a detailed wiring diagram, then what would be the basic game plan (you had mentioned jumpering some wires to bypass driver side memory)?

I just need to get the basic seat movements/motors to work on the driver's seat? I'm not interested in the heat or massaging Lumbar capabilities (mine does have these but not the seat cooling/ac feature).

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by Axis_of_Evil; 03-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Assuming I'm able to get a detailed wiring diagram, then what would be the basic game plan (you had mentioned jumpering some wires to bypass driver side memory)?
If you don't already have a set of alligator-tip jumpers, make a trip to your local Radio Shack, (or equivalent), & pick up a set; they'll come in handy for MANY projects.

After reviewing your procured wiring diagram(s), (**Don't forget to look for ANY DIAGRAMS that will show EXTERNAL switches/interlocks that control your seats**), you'll want to identify & trace ANY modules/wiring under the seats that ultimately go to that main wiring connector, & out to the car body to be controlled by other than the seat buttons.
[The main culprit, that usually needs to be "jumpered", is the seat memory module; usually requiring a connector ("jumper") across the leads to make the module see a closed circuit, allowing the seat to operate properly.]

Another point: You may not need/want the massaging lumbar feature, but you'll need to address it, as it MAY be tied into the lumbar support circuit, which you WILL need to comfortably fit your seat to your frame. There is NOTHING worse than a lumbar support that is too high/low, or pushes into your back-side, impairing your comfort.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Take a look @ this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/5...ont-seats.html
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

It looks like, from my schematic, you will need to power up more than just the pink/red wire. You will need to get power to pink/red, the tan/yellow, and the orange/brown wires in order for the seats to work on the drivers seat. The passengers side should only require the one hot and ground to work.

Chet
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Crdnblu & Tbucket,

Thanks again for the great information and link to JustAnswer.com!!

I'm heading out to get the passenger's seat out of storage. I'll try these new recommendations for both the driver and passenger seats.

I'll report back later today.

You guys are awsome!

Regards,
Rob
Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

SUCCESS!!

Here are the results;

------------------------------------------
- DRIVER SEAT WIRING:

"+" Red/Pink, Tan/Yellow, Orange/Brown
"-" Black (the larger one)

All seat movements work (front 2 switches)
The lumbar adjustment works (round switch)
The Lumbar massaging does not work (in the manual that Crdnbu supplied, it does say that the ignition has to be on for this to work... so, maybe that's at the heart of this issue.)
- PASSENGER SEAT WIRING:

"+" Tan/Blue (fyi... there is not a Red/Pink wire for this seat)
"-" Black

All seat movements work (front 2 switches)
The lumbar adjustment does not work (round switch)
The Lumbar massaging does not work

So, I have what I need and if I want/need to get the few remaining functions to work, I'll try to the same Cadillac mechanic in the JustAnswer.com link (thanks again to Crdnbu!).

Hopefully someone else can benefit from this information/experience.

Thanks and best of luck with your projects!
Rob

Last edited by Axis_of_Evil; 03-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks for letting us know.
Glad to have helped

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.