Hot Rod Forum banner

electric speed sensor wiring

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nitrousbike532 
#1 ·
I switched from a 350 turbo with a mechanical speedo to a 700r4 with a electric speedo. I have a Autometer electric speedo. Just wanting to know how to tell which wire will be grd.,and of course which will be the sender. If it helps,the speed sensor is a Napa #LS6533,containing a black,and a purple wire. Thanks for any response.

#3 ·
If your speedo is just counting pulses----does not really matter.

but, the black wire is probably the return.

I would assume that the speedometer is getting 12v with the key on by a wire fed by the fusebox, and 2 different wires going to sending unit??

FYI----twist the wires going to the sending unit and keep them far away from the spark plug wires, distributor, and tach signal wire.

If the speedo wires get to close to any of these---you may register speed without moving.

#4 ·
Thanks for responding,and yes Bryan you are correct. Yes it is counting pulses. The speedo is setup like you described for a mechanical speedo. According to Autometer instructions,it will also work with a 2 wire sine wave sender. That shows 1 wire from the speed sensor going to the sender on speedo,and the other wire from the speed sensor being a ground. Again Thanks for any response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.