Electric Water Pump for street?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 08:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Water Pump for street??

Does anyone of you run a Meziere or CSI electric water pump on the street, is it working OK for the street or is it on the limit. I read that Meziere are suitable for street but is it really? I would like to hear from you if you are running one on the street.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

No way!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I have one on my motor (not running yet), but I've talked to a couple of guys at shows and my uncle's friend is running one. All said they worked fine with no problems what so ever. I have a mezeire, and so did everyone else...
Old 09-08-2003, 01:19 PM

Im about to run one myself.
I will let ya know how it does.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I want to run one, but due to the cost I'm just gonna go with a belt driven one for now. Let me know how it turns out
-Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
-Flowmaster Afterburner headers
-Turbo 350 Transmission
Old 09-08-2003, 07:40 PM
cutouts and 7k shifts = cops

I have seen some "street" friendly pumps in the catalogs.....
If you are after less drag on the pulleys you can also get an underdrive set for way less $$$.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:08 PM
www.airriderz.com

????

I have a 530 HP SBC. I had put on the CSI Unit. It worked good. But did not have enough flow through my RPM Range for street use. I replaced it with a mechanical high volume water pump and am much happier........

I can not tell any difference in performance for the extra coin the electric cost. The only cool thing about electric is when you are cruising and your motor gets hot. You can pull over and leave the water pump and electric fan running without having the motor running and your car will cool down in a few minutes..........

Good Luck......
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Here is my experience. I have a 68 Nova with a 720HP BBC. It is pretty much a bracket racing car that I do drive on the street now and then. I run a Weiand electric water pump, Griffen radiator, electric fan, a gutted T-stat, and use distilled water and Water Wetter. I recently did a 15 mile cruise in stop and go traffic, in the Florida heat and the highest the temp got was 190. This was to qualify for a street grudge race at our local track.
When bracket racing, an electric pump and fan is a must in my opinion to keep your temp constant before staging. I run my pump and fan after every round to bring the temp back down to 140.
For street only however, I would not run an electric pump. I have heard of too many people getting stranded. I feel with a properly setup cooling system, they can work as good as a mechanical pump, but being an electric device, they will eventually fail. I have heard of guys running the CSI style pumps that will carry a spare motor for such emergencies. That would be expensive insurance.
They do look really cool though!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

I thought of that too (electirc one failing), but then what about the new cars now a days with electric fuel pumps? Would I have to worry about that one "failing" on me too?
Just my opinion, but I don't like being afraid of the new electric parts and them failing. Every part eventually fails, that's just life. Might as well have the "cooler" part while I can...
Old 09-08-2003, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

I guess for hotrods that aren't daily drivers you will probably get lots of miles from one. I think they even rate them for so many hours of use. Another critical thing for electric fuel pumps and water pumps is proper wiring. Good grounds, using relays, proper guage wiring, etc. Not trying to discourage anyone just stating my opinion.

Oh yeah, and stay away from the cheap Chinese knockoffs. Meizere and CSI are great quality. Stay away from Proform.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Right now I think it's hit & miss with electric water pumps. Many of my LS1 & LT1 running buddies are having good luck with the electric pumps on street motors.

If you would have asked me 4 years ago if I would run an electric pump on the street, I would have told you no. If you ask me now here's the answer. I wanted one for the 383 I just built, but due to monitary concerns, I ended up with a chrome plated Summit pump. So I"m starting to think that they are OK for street use. Now realize that the car that I'm wanting to put the electric water pump on will only do about 100 miles per week & only on weekends so reliability isn't that important to me at this point.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys for all the great reply.....

I did allot of research on the the net and I came across this website in australia......mmmmmm I think you will have a different view on electric water pump for the street this one is amazinglly light like 2 pounds and flows 1300 GPH WOW this is allot more than a mechanic at idle!!!! anyway here the link for the website:
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/
and here the link to buy one from the USA:
http://www.spatechnique.com/

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.