Electric Water Pumps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Water Pumps

How many out there use an electric water pump? I have two vehicles with them, one w/o thermostat, and a DC variable speed control and one running full speed with a remote bypass thermostat. The one with a remote bypass thermostat allows the engine to fully warm up; despite the manufaturer's recommendation to remove the thermostat completely. I suspect it may deal with having a bypass or not. Both are Davies-Craig pumps.

I would like to hear what others have done and perhaps help those who are considering such a coversion make the right decision.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM

I would consider using an electric water pump if it made it easier to use a vacuum pump
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Is your goal to fit an engine driven vac pump easier using the area normally taken up by the water pump? There are also quite a few electric vacuum pumps out there including many on factory vehicles in the boneyards for experimentation.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Aviation View Post
How many out there use an electric water pump? I have two vehicles with them, one w/o thermostat, and a DC variable speed control and one running full speed with a remote bypass thermostat. The one with a remote bypass thermostat allows the engine to fully warm up; despite the manufaturer's recommendation to remove the thermostat completely. I suspect it may deal with having a bypass or not. Both are Davies-Craig pumps.

I would like to hear what others have done and perhaps help those who are considering such a coversion make the right decision.
pretty much drag racing only or for street rods with hidden belts. Not really good for normal street driving as they fail pretty often. Some do last longer than others. what type of racing do you do. For drag i would remove the thermostat since it will allow the pump to flow more using less amps and less of a draw on the battery. Gives the ignition a fighting chance. Max amp load on a dead man system will draw the voltage down and lower the amount of spark the coil can produce.

Do you run an alternator that is electricly driven?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM

Yeah I have heard failure stories, but have had good luck w/ mine. The cars are strictly street driven. A Lotus Esprit Turbo and a 1st Gen Mazda RX-7 w/ the rotary. Most miles are on the Lotus and it has operated fine since I purchased the pump in 2004. It has been driven quite a bit and as often as possible in the winter, weather/salt permitting. It has no thermostat (runs way to cold), but w/ the success of the Mazda coming up to the proper temp and continually recirculating w/ the external bypass stat, I will fit one to the Lotus. No hot spots and I get great heat too.

Just found this from the website: (Note the pump is used w/ the Davies Craig controller)

"Question No. 9
Will the fitment of an Electric Water Pump be a drain on my electrical system?
The extra current is very little. About 90% of total motoring time the EWP will run at 10% of its maximum speed using about 2 amps. Being in nylon, the impeller can have aerofoil cross section and the tip clearances can be very small. A mechanical pump has to perform at 600 rpm and 6,000 rpm and it cannot be efficient at both these speeds and all speeds in between. Furthermore, as the power the pump requires to operate increases as the cube of the speed - when the mechanical pump is operating at the higher speeds, as it does, as a car passes through its gear range, its ‘robbing’ engine power in the order of 6 to 10kW. The EWP® which uses at maximum speed 9 amps x 13 volts gives 120 watts at say 30% efficiency from the alternator to hydraulic power means about 0.4 kW to drive the EWP®, when it does operate at full speed."
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Aviation View Post
Yeah I have heard failure stories, but have had good luck w/ mine. The cars are strictly street driven. A Lotus Esprit Turbo and a 1st Gen Mazda RX-7 w/ the rotary. Most miles are on the Lotus and it has operated fine since I purchased the pump in 2004. It has been driven quite a bit and as often as possible in the winter, weather/salt permitting. It has no thermostat (runs way to cold), but w/ the success of the Mazda coming up to the proper temp and continually recirculating w/ the external bypass stat, I will fit one to the Lotus. No hot spots and I get great heat too.

Just found this from the website: (Note the pump is used w/ the Davies Craig controller)

"Question No. 9
Will the fitment of an Electric Water Pump be a drain on my electrical system?
The extra current is very little. About 90% of total motoring time the EWP will run at 10% of its maximum speed using about 2 amps. Being in nylon, the impeller can have aerofoil cross section and the tip clearances can be very small. A mechanical pump has to perform at 600 rpm and 6,000 rpm and it cannot be efficient at both these speeds and all speeds in between. Furthermore, as the power the pump requires to operate increases as the cube of the speed - when the mechanical pump is operating at the higher speeds, as it does, as a car passes through its gear range, its ‘robbing’ engine power in the order of 6 to 10kW. The EWP® which uses at maximum speed 9 amps x 13 volts gives 120 watts at say 30% efficiency from the alternator to hydraulic power means about 0.4 kW to drive the EWP®, when it does operate at full speed."
That makes a pretty big differnece. i would let the lotus run cold. Running one hot is very bad. Have you tried the washer trick where you use a washer in stead of a thermostat. for chevy and ford you can buy them already purpose made to replace the thermostat.

Are you using the full tilt controller from the manufacturer. I would assume this is really important part.

Yes that is true they use little power when hooked up correctly. But you still need to move the water. if its not it will over heat the engine. It is also true the stock pump can cool the engine at heavy load. most electrics arent going to go for max load for very long. Most engine can produce more heat than the stock pump can carry away when they are running at there absolute max.

But it should work fine in a lotus or other small engine. since they dont produce alot of power they also dont make a lot of heat. Combined with alum rad and things cool off very quickly. But they same on a 500hp chevy and the pump will be working at its maxs and overloaded by the end of the 1/4 mile track and need time to catch up. running full tilt for serveral miles and you will need a pump that can do everything the factory one can do and more.

If the pump uses that much less energy than stock it is pumping that much less water than stock. actually to make the pump do everything the stock one would you would use more hp to run it. since the pump needs to run with the same amount of power and still account for the loss in producing eletricity and the eletric motor. the stock pump with a belt is pretty dang good when you think about it.

hope this helps.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.