Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - electric winch
Thread: electric winch
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll snap some pictures of the motor, but that won't be till tomorrow.

The motor is just that a motor. It is like a motor from a furness that turns the squirrel cage fan. (If thats any help) except a bit more power.

What i have put together is a motor that speed is reduced about 7-1 with pulleys. Then from there it goes to a gear box that is 38 to 1 then from that output shaft goes to a spool for the cable. So that works out with a motor spinning at 1725 to have final speed of 6.5 RPM. With my final calculations it should pull at about 36" a min. I have seen many of these things built that work excellent, but I have never checked out too close the wiring of the motor.

The styles of switches I have seen 2 setups with basic light switches ( one for on-off, one for clockwise - counter clockwise) and then I have seen some setup with a proper switch. I don't care what system, but would prefer the light switch set up because of cost ( I have more of those laying around from renovations)

No info under the plate it's either gone or never exisited, but the good thing is I have about 3 motors to chose from, but the same thing on all.

Just to say one reason for not going with a 12 volt winch is that I'm looking at about 100 feet of 1/4 inch cable so they don't have the capacity. And I don't like the idea of battery power. I have a unlimited supply of 110 always ready to go, but with batteries that is not always the case.

Thanks for the help so far

John

Atached is a picture to help convay my plan
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (195.6 KB, 80 views)