Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electrical disconnect
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krruzer View Post
I want to replace the painless model with the previous pictured solenoid (it's half the cost of hotronics,watson and painless) my concerns were the toggling of the momentary switch. I'm gatering that it reversed the latch with a momentary ground from a SPST switch?
Sorry, I misunderstood.

The solenoid you have pictured above is an Intellitec model 01-00055-00.
The manufacturer's website doesn't offer any information about how to wire it. The best I could find is this description from Pacific RV Parts:

Quote:
Quote from:Pacific RV Parts

THE RELAY - How it Works
The Battery Disconnect Relay is a mechanically latching switch that operates by the momentary application of battery voltage to the coil terminals in one direction for latching (closed) or the other direction for unlatching (open).
To close the relay, +12 volts is applied to the ""I"" terminal and ground the ""S"" terminal of the relay. When this is done, the plunger is pulled into the coil and the contacts are connected. While this happens, the rod magnet suspended above the plunger is attracted (opposite poles attract) to the top of the plunger by the magnetic field.
When the voltage is removed from the coil, the plunger gets pushed upward by the return spring, but cannot move because the rod magnet is in the way.
To open the relay, +12 volts is applied to the ""S"" terminal and ground on the ""I"" terminal. When this is done, the plunger is again pulled into the coil. However, since the magnetic polarity of the coil is reversed, the rod is repelled (like poles oppose), and swings out of the way.
When the voltage is removed from the coil, the plunger gets pushed upwards by the return spring, breaking the connection between the two large terminals.
So the solenoid wires up basically the same as a GM style power window.
A SPST switch will not work with the Intellitec solenoid. To operate the solenoid with a single switch, you will need either a DPDT center off momentary switch, or a good old fashioned GM power window switch.

Hope this helps.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe G For This Useful Post:
krruzer (07-09-2012)