Electrical system shuts off - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would be willing to bet you are loosing the ground connection from the battery to the block or the positive to the starter. The clue is the lights work but the starter and ignition dont. Connections can heat up and stop conducting. Once they cool they will work again for a while.
Check to be sure the ground from the battery is firmly attached to the block in a non painted area. A star washer between the cable and the block will assure a good connection and is recommended. Check the positive cable where it attaches to the starter to be sure the connection is clean and tight.
With a volt meter and some quick work when it is dead you should be able to isolate the issue. My first test would be from the negative battery terminal to the block. On the ohms scale it should read 0 or close to it.

More information on how the power and ground distribution are setup would make it easier to help you.
You could eliminate the ignition switch by running a jumper from the positive battery terminal to the HEI feed or the + side of the coil depending on what system you have to see if the problem goes away.

Advertisement

Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electrical shuts off

The lights are not in the Ign. system, as you know and you said you are loosing connection at ground from the Batt., if you loose ground from the Batt. , you would also loose lights.

35 terraplane
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
The lights are not in the Ign. system, as you know and you said you are loosing connection at ground from the Batt., if you loose ground from the Batt. , you would also loose lights.

35 terraplane
I was wondering if his battery terminal has a small wire to the body as some do. More information is needed

Chet
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs36ford
Hey Guys
My 36 Ford streetrod SHUTS OFF AT ANY SPEED OR IDLE. When this happens ALL THE GAUGES GO TO ZERO ,CAR WON'T TURN OVER BUT ALL THE LIGHTS WORK. After about 5 minutes everything starts working again. I replaced battery connectors before i found out the lights still worked.
Bob
Just a review to get us back to the problem . It sounds to me like he is losing power TO the ignition switch . I would back trace the power wire inch by inch from the switch and see where it comes from . Who knows what you might find.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

electrical system shuts off

I was looking at my wiring diagram that I use, and there are so many different ways to get power from one point to another. Looking at what I use I came up with the coil getting hot or the ING. switch I picked the coil, It still could be, but that is the way I wire it for the kit I use which is an Enos board. It could be a ground wire, but I don't think so, I think T-Bucket23 is right we have to know more what he is using so we know how the power goes where. Like on my board the power for the board goes from the Batt. terminal of the ING. switch to the light switch to the fuse panel for power to the board. I have done it this way for over 30 years so it just gets stuck there in your head. Wires or fusible link are out, IMO, if the wire is broken or the link breaks it won't restart. I also think if you had a loose wire and kept starting the car, you would get smoke or fire. But again we have to know how it is wired, and not just throw this or that at it. Electrical things have to be trace out to find a problem, you have to use reason, and to do that you have to work with the right diagram, you might stumble on it but more times than not you have to follow the wires.

35terraplane
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

No run prob

Start with the simple stuff first, make sure your main ground has a good contast, sometimes a dry contact is a bad one and will overload with the car running but still have power for the lights(less load not running). Also if Gm ignition could be module in distributor. Have had them break down with engine heat and start back up when it cools off. Good luck. One last thing if battery is older or not secured properly can have a bad cell a cause problems.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Electrical system shuts off

Thats all been said , What I'm saying if you are going by the GM. wiring diagram thats one thing. But only if the car is wired to the GM wiring diagram. I have wired over 200 street rods and not one of them is done right to the GM wiring diagram. The lights are pretty much a given as far as how to wire,most of the columns that I know, that are after market are wired GM. And most street rods are using GM if they pull one. With that said, not everyone uses the same wiring board , there is Enos, Painless, Ron Francis, And so on, not all them go by GM right to the last wire . There are different ways to get the power to the board, lights, from the Batt, so before you start trying to fix something you have to know everything about it. before you can troubleshoot it. It's pretty hard to fix a problem when there is one board in the car , and you are using a diagram from another. I have said before I have never used A Gm wiring diagram<
, but then again the newest car I have wired is a 1957 t-bird. Street rodders don't want all the unnecessary things, And you can do it with out it.
I believe Bob said he could not find a fuse panel, if not, they are in each circuit, or he has no fuses,I told him if the last two things were true, I would park it get a kit and rewire it.

Later 35terraplane

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.