Hot Rod Forum banner

Electrical Wiring Harness Clean Up

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

The wiring harness in my car is in need of some repair; i'd like to re-do the fuse-block to make it smaller, remove un-needed wires and make it look more attractive for my engine bay. There's a horrible tangle going on right now.

What are some replacement loom brands/products that you guys have used to make your engine bays sparkle? Any other tips or tricks that you could recommend?

Thanks!

#2 ·
fuse block

don't know about sparkle... but when i built my bucket i went to the marine store and got one for a boat.. i'll say its around an 8 ckt with the large twin blade fuses.. in a Tbucket u WILL get caught in the rain.. just a matter of time.. and boats see alot of water...

#3 ·
Ask 10 people about which harness to buy and you'll get 15 opinions...lol. I like painless and they make a small harness custom for you app.... To water proof it, I'd buy an alum box that the fuse block will fit inside, cut out the lid for a tight fit to the fuse block thru connector/gromet at the fire wall and flat cut-outs on the top sides to route the wires out of, then when you mount the fuse block sandwich the lid between the mounting surface and the fuse block, now when you screw the bottom on to the now mounted lid, it's trick looking and very water/splash resistance

#4 ·
Make sure you mount the block 1st!!!!, then wire tie, route and secure all you wires before you make any terminations! I didn't on my last one and that was a big mistake...... looked like crud and I ended up redoing alot of wires to get them to look good and wasted many terminals.

Use a good quality crimper, not the ones at the auto stores, Lowes sells a heavy duty, high quality one for 20-30 bucks..... makes all the difference in the world. Before terminating any wires in the engine bay put a piece of shrink wrap on the wire, then the terminal, after you crip it, slide the shrink wrap over the terminal etc...... neat as pie.

You can find some Techflex woven split-loom on ebay

3 4 Split Braided Sleeving f6 Techflex 10ft | eBay

that is super trick for encasing your wires, it comes in many sizes and colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.