Electro-chemical rust removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electro-chemical rust removal

Hey Guys, I'm looking for your opinion on Electro-chemical rust removal.
A local company www.precisionresto.com quoted me a rough price of 1500 to 2000 for my early Bronco tub, just for media balsting and dipping. It's got very light rust on the entire underbody, wheel wells, and a couplle of light areas in the interior where paint chiped off (no carpet from factory just paint) area no deep pitting or rotting. It's all very solid and oddly enough all the floor supports underneath have no rust on them (I think they were zinc coated and the floor panels were'nt or something). The thing that bugs me the most, is the rust creeping into the seams. I coulds probably drive it for another 20yrs before it eats through, but the body is off so i'm going to fix it now. The price seems high and i'm not sure if an old Bronco is worth it. Any advice is much apreciated. THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

The idea of complete rust removal is great but I'd put money there is still rust to be found within the tight seams after the process is considered complete. Reguardless of how it is stripped the metal's surface must be prepped for the coatings that need to be applied- some boxed areas like the interior of rocker panels is impossible to clean and sand for proper prep prior to applying the epoxy primers they use, you'll notice in the photos of the firebird on that site the underside of the car is cleaned and wire wheeled to ready the surface for primer that's great- but what do they do to ready the panel interiors? E-coating may be an option. If the panel interiors are left bare metal or coated without the proper prep then they will eventually rust from the inside out. $1500 is reasonable for that amount of work IMO.

If you get some answers from the shop on how they prep/coat/treat the interior of these boxed panels I sure would like to hear them. Bob
Old 05-17-2005, 01:49 PM

The guy there told me they media bast first to get the paint off, then it goes to the bath. After the bath it's cleaned and then either coated with a temporary rust resistant coated that he says last up to 90 days if stored inside, realisticly I wouldn't wait more than a day or two to get paint on it. Or they will prep it and prime it including wirebrushing for good adhesion degreasing, a metal prep, then epoxy, and a high build up primer, for 500 to 700. Doesn't sound to bad. I have to give him a second call to find out about the seams and enclosed panels. I was thinking of using a undercoating gun to coat the enclosed stuff with oil every six months or so.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Any word? TTT
Old 05-18-2005, 09:31 PM

Whats the name and number of this place? A good friend of mine owns a bodyshop is Lakeville and has haad numerous parts dipped at a local stripper.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:54 PM

I finally talked to they guy there he said they pressure wash the body including the seams to force out the loose stuff (I becomes vey fine) every 3hrs and put it back in the solution. The loose rust also sinks to the bottom of the tank. He also said that rust is neutralized so if it stays in the seams or rockers it will not caluse new rust. Don't know if that's true or if he's blowing smoke. But I think i'm going to sandblast the underside and interior none of the exterior. I've got a company lined up already for 450, I checked out an old chevelle they just finished and couldn't see any warping. And I don't think an early Bronco is worth having dipping even though there starting to go up in price (12000 to 20000 for a restored one). This isn't a 32 Packard or anything. There location and phone number are on the website. THANKS
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM

Hey SEVT_CHEVELLE where does your buddy have his stuff dipped in Mn?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.