Hot Rod Forum banner

electronic ignition?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
im wanting to replace my points system with e.i., i was at the parts store the other day and noticed that they sell a device that replaces the points in the distributor and converts it to e.i. it sells for about 80 dollars. i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these and if so are they worth the trouble or is it better to just replace the distributor with an e.i. one?

#3 ·
If your distributor is in good shape I have heard these Pertronix conversion kits work ok. I decided to go with a new distributor and after returning the MSD junk I originally ordered I got a Mallory Unilite distributor with vacuum advance, their chrome coil, and a power filter to prevent voltage spike damage to the module. I picked it all up at <a href="http://www.summitracing.com" target="_blank">www.summitracing.com</a> for about $285 ($215-distributor, $35-coil, $35-filter). Another option would be to find an old Duraspark system in a junk yard from a mid-seventies Ford and use that. I've seen guys do this because on the road something breaks any auto parts store usually sells replacement parts for the factory Duraspark set-up. I went with the Mallory 'cause I needed a distributor anyway and I like the eye candy. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.