Electronic miracle rust cure? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electronic miracle rust cure?

I followed a link posted by Old Fool and it led me here:

http://www.ruststopnorthamerica.com/

It's a website that sells an electronic rust prevention device called RustStop. Of course, I'm skeptical but this product seems different and/or better than the other products that were popular at the new car dealers a few years back. I remember seeing a lot of new cars with a blinking box under the hood that did nothing to prevent or stop rust from growing.

Anyway, if anyone's bored and has a few minutes, please go take a look. I'd like to hear what you all think. Is there any way this thing might actually work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Electronic miracle rust cure?

Scot,
I do not know how a system like this would work on a object that moves, but I worked for a company in the 70s that had a assembly line dedicated to assembly of a electrolysis system that was sold to natural gas company's to prevent rust on their pipe lines and valves.This system worked as I had first hand experience working on this system and I worked closely with the engineer on redesigning the system,including on site evaluation.If my memory is correct,the only difference I can remember between the that system and what I can get from their web site is ,their system uses sacrificial anodes and ours did not. But what we were protecting was under ground so I don't think they would be needed on our system.
It should work ,how well I don't know,if it provides just a 30% reduction in rust as long as it does not cost an arm and leg it would be worth it.I see that you live in Hawaii so salt air is going to be a real problem as salt greatly drops the Resistance of water to current flow which as stated is the basis for rust.
Maybe someone else on this site has personal experience with a system like this one and can post more info.
Good Luck!
Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply, Kenny. The only reason why I even thought this thing might work is the sacrificial anodes. They make it sound like the theory is good so I was hoping someone who was more scientific than myself would be able to cut through the BS and counter their miracle cure theories.

I sent an email to the company, asking for the independant lab test results they hint at on their website. I did get a reply, but did not get enough info worth posting. I'll try to get something better.

Reading the installation instructions, it says to scratch the paint down to bare metal (with a screwdriver), then attach the sacrificial anode (that has a conductive double sided sticky tape) over the scratch! I guess you would have to do that to have conductivity, but that sounds like an altogether bad idea.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

Scot

sacrificial anodes are used on boats all the time. They are used when you have two dissimilar metals that are wide apart on the nobility scale. e.g, aluminum and steel. If these two metals are next to each other and an electrolyte (seawater) allowed to contact both then currents are set up, just like in a battery, which will corrode the least noble metal very quickly. The sacrificial anode, usually a type of zinc, will corrode first before the other metal. I can't see any advantage on a car and find that website very dubious. While stray currents can accelerate corrosion considerably I have never heard of it being used to stop corrosion. On a boat we work very hard to ground everything and stop all possible stray currents. You already have a current on a car, most cars are neg, ground so how does introducing another current work with that.

I admit I didn't read the website very thoroughly because I am suspicious of these products from the start and might of missed something but I would place this product in the same pile as the vornado and the penis extender. Although I must confess I have no experience with any of them, (Honestly!)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Hi Scrimshaw,

I remember those zinc bars...my dad was a long-time commercial fisherman and I remember helping him fix boats when I was a kid. That's why I thought maybe the sacrifical anodes would work on a car, although it's obvious we're talking about two totally different environments here.

I went back to the RustStop website to try and make a little more sense of what they're claiming. It sounds like they put in a 45 volt positive charge to the anodes. This suppossedly attracts "free electrons" (what the heck is that?) away from the iron/steel in the body, and towards the anodes...causing the anodes to corrode rather than the steel. I guess the problematic "free electrons" are negatively charged and will be drawn towards positive? Huh?

Aside from the need to scratch the paint under the anodes, the other thing that makes me suspicious is the need, according to the installation manual, is that you need to mount the anodes in an area that will get wet when the car gets wet, not under the body or in the wheel wells, but somewhere that water will drain over. Their argument about why other electronic rust protectors don't work is that there's no conductivity because it's not a totally wet environment, like in a boat or underground pipes, etc. If that's the case, why do the anodes need to get wet?

I'm hoping more people here chime in and give their input about this thing. I know it's highly suspect and I'm trying my best to prove it does NOT work. While I wish it would, I don't believe it does. If I am wrong, that would just be a nice little bonus.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Lets first understand why you get rust in the first place.

If you take pure water and put a drop of it on a piece of perfectly clean steel you will not get rust forming. The act of water causing rust is difficult without something else helping. The fact is the iron likes to stay with iron and the oxidation takes energy.

Now take a drop of water with something in it that will cause it to act like a battery. So a bit of salt or maybe some compound that causes nitric or sulfuric acid to form in the water. Now we are talking just a tiny bit of stuff. Now we have this nice battery to help rip electrons and allow for oxygen to get mixed with the iron.

Now consider some contaminated water getting into a rust seam or a 'hole' in the middle of the paint. On a very small area we are causing rust to start with our mini battery.

Now consider the system they are selling. The concept is correct. You can put sacrificial anode on a large area and prevent loss on the big item. You give something that oxidizes easier then what you are protecting and you reduce the amount of corrosion that will occur (not I say reduce, not stop). You are putting a voltage (well charge) on the big object. The problem is the rust and corrosion can still happen on the small level. You can not prevent that small battery that you would get in the seam or the microscopic hole in the paint that lets contaminated water get in and set up a micro battery.

The anode system also can only protect where the electrons can see the anode.

So if you are planning on putting you car in a tank of water, then yes their system is likely to help prevent large areas of rust. It still can not protect the small areas.

The only positive prevention of rust is proper coverage of the metal with a protective surface and controlling the environment.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

I stumbled onto this procedure while researching the "electronic rust inhibition" section of the wiki rust article. I don't know much about it, but it's known as "Cathodic protection".
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

anti ruster

---Bogus device---Rust is FeO2 (iron and oxygen).On boats they have a lead anode bolted to the metal hull to eliminate most of the electrolysis but the anode must be in the water. Electrolysis is different from rust it and is more like stripping chrome plating .Navy ships still need paint and they still rust.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

well scot I have an old car magazine that had a two page article on rust removal deal but that was if the parts were off,Also I might add that method did use electric but also baking soda.I currently have a rat rod,so called and I often think about the rust but you know something.Rust has been around a long long time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.