electronic spark control module - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

electronic spark control module

I can't figure out where this thing is or goes, I've got a 87 5.7tbi out of a van, the harness got cut to remove it. I've got most pins rewired but b7 is getting me stuck, it says esc in that is the only wire i can find with for that, is it in the dist, I need help has anyone done this operation, I'm putting this in a 64 c10 I'd like to keep tbi, any suggestions maybe links, I know painfree makes this harness but it's $550. I don't see the sense in buying this when I have one, just needs mods. I'm not a total dummy just haven't done this in the dark. A preemptive THANKS
Mr.Jones

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

esc

I don't remember where they are on the 350, but the 4.3 esc modules are on the bracket bolted to the back of the passengers cyl head. they are square, roughly the size of a couple of business cards side by side, and have about 4 wires going to them. worst case scenario- go to the library and check the wiring diagram in a chiltons or haynes manual for location and wiring diagram, or call the parts store and see if they can tell you where it is and what it looks like, or go online and see if you can find an image or a wiring diagram.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

esc lost, I don't have on for it

I went to the local boneyard and found two out of vans, thats where my donor was out of. They didn't have the same part# as the dealer said, they were under the seat. has anyone swapped these out will it work?? I'm really getting frustrated and about it put a carb on it. Don't want to though, any suggestions?? of course the dealer says they won't swap, didn't say y, I'm sure they wanna sell one, I've about exhausted my resources for this operation. It shouldn't be that bad but maybe I'm making it worse than it is, I dunno never done it! Thanks oh the ones I found had 7 wires, the dealer said it was under the seat, My diagram says same as you 4wire unit

Last edited by 64stepside86tbi; 11-19-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

4 wire -7 wire

not too sure on the 4 or 7 wire. I would check the wiring diagram and see where the wires are supposed to go.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM

12v ign in 12v ground pin b7 and knock sensor

Thats four wires I'm not sure about the 7 wire one, will one off the 4.3 exchange with 5.7. I've always been told everything was the same just 2 cylinders knocked off. I hope like hell it will that would make my life easier, this 7 wire under the seat crapola is crapola!!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

In the mid '80s GM was in a major transition from carbs to fuel injection to meet the CAFE law.
It seems to me that the shop manuals at the time were not keeping up with the changes as they were happening so fast.
You could try www.autozone.com. They have the repair guide section that gives basic information and wiring diagrams that may help.
However, one source that has been very accurate IMO is www.alldatadiy.com Its the closest thing that I know of to a factory shop manual.
You don't need a new harness you need accurate info for the specific engine and ECM.

vicrod
Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks vicrod

I agree accurate info is a need, I've been using the diagrams from //ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/manuals/1227747ecm5.jpg . It seems to be accurate, I'm just stuck on this esc, correct me if I'm wrong, esc modules, 16128261 and 16128251 call for the same knock sensor, the different vehicles use the same ecu, 747. If they have the same ecu and esc (well the 51 is on both the 61 is v8 only) couldn't I use the esc that is for both. I'm working on a v8 5.7tbi, I've got the 51. I read this somewhere, and would make life easier, since the donor vehicle is unknown other than its a 87tbi, van g20 I think its a 20 not sure about that, it's probably a soup can now. Its just I found a 86 and a 89 and the part that is under the seat( like the dealer said) is a 7 wire, my schematics call for a 4 wire and that makes sense to me! Thanks I need to figure this out before I

Last edited by 64stepside86tbi; 11-19-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: wrong source
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I looked and if you are correct about the 4 wire esc module then pin "C" on the esc module goes to B7 on the ECM. D is Brown goes to engine ground.B is pink/blk goes to ign/ecm 1fuse ckt 10 amp and "E" goes to theknock sensor
The diagram I saw showed 5 Pins on the esc module Pin "A " was not shown to be wired to anything although it did say 12 volts Ignition.
The ESC on an 87 G 10 (van ) shows to be bolted to the side of the brake pedal bracket under the dash on the right side.
There was 2 different distributor/ignition systems shown for an 87 wich helps to confuse things. Two different style distibutors and modules were used.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 PM

This is true it actually does show an A pin on the esc

It's not part of the circuit though, as far as I can see. The diagrams I'm using are for 88 though, couldn't find a freebee for a 87, the engine code actually ran to a 86, Canadian made engine. But AZone and some others said they didn't have a tbi in 86 it must be an 87 so I ran with it. How in the world would I decipher which system I have?? I think I might just go to the boneyard again, I know where there's a truck with one, they don't have a 10 series van, this thing is expensive, I hope it's the part # the dealership gave me, which I don't know if they knew which system, if there's two, or cared to ask, or really even wanna help over the phone, " is the car drivable" well I can't help you over the phone, they want me cash, got news I don't have much. But Thanks, I guess it's time to really figure out the donor vehicle, I got it from one of my instructors, Hydrogen fuel cell tech, didn't wanna bother him, turned out to be more complex than I had in mind! Thanks again for everyones help,

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.