eletric fans or belt driven???!!!???!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
$-AMERICAN MUSCLE-$

Wiki Edits: 0

eletric fans or belt driven???!!!???!!!

I just bought a ZZ4 350ci crate engine for my 72 chevelle i need to replace the radiator so should i put electric fans or belt driven fans back in?????? THANKS< FRED WEST.....!

Advertisement

Last edited by Fred West; 12-14-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A belt driven with a shroud should work fine for cooling. If you are going to go with electric, get the highest quality/highest flowing unit you can afford.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Belts, thermostatic fan clutch, 7 blade fan, factory shroud, overdriven water pump, 195 thermostat, biggest radiator you can fit in there (go big block radiator if you can).

The only electrics that work well are those that are feeding a humongous radiator, exposing the limited air flow to as much water as possible for as long as possible....

People try to use a big fan to cure a small radiator problem.... or a big radiator to cure a bad airflow problem.

Air flow is everything.... well, air management. Properly sealed core support, hot air getting out of the engine bay, etc. .....so the hot air does not get sucked back into the radiator. One of the biggest problems is ill fitting parts.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I use both together.

The belt driven water pump with a standard fan and the electric fan to help out if it heats up. I tried the mini fans and they don't cool. But the stock fan shroud and regular stock fan with and electric fan on the outside of the radiator will help keep you cool even with some mods and extra HP!

Tazz
Old 12-15-2005, 08:49 PM

these guys are right. I had the same problem with a crate motor this past summer. I have a small radiator but its because of the limited space.I had the largest elec. fan i could buy. about 2200 cfm's. it done fine on a day when temps didnt get above 70 - 75 degrees. But on a hot day as long as i was rolling down the road it was fine it run about 180 -185 deg. but stop at a red light and it ran up to 205 +. went back to a good 7 blade flex fan , over driven water pump pully and a alum. edelbrock high flow pump and no more problems. you will have to sacrifice a few horses though for the belt fan. oh and i did keep the elec. fan with the belt drive. good luck....
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
A belt driven with a shroud should work fine for cooling. If you are going to go with electric, get the highest quality/highest flowing unit you can afford.
let me add that this also means the highest amps for the fan. can't have a 3300 cfm and draw 9 amps. your going to be in the 16amp or more. ed
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM

It's harder to cool a big Pontiac, but....

It is easily accomplished using a 2 core aluminum radiator and dual electric fans off a 4th gen Camaro (LS1 or LT1). The shroud fits the radiator very well. And using a thermostatic switch and a relay the fans only come on once the cars warms up to about 180. Now even in 100+ degree weather and 80% humidity the Poncho never runs over 200.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Either way is fine. As everyone has pointed out, you need adequate air flow and radiator capacity no matter what. If you cheap out on the electric units you're not going to have enough air flow. Aftermarket fans with adequate flow are going to be $75 plus, and you'll likely need two, plus relays. One thermostat will run a relay to power both, but when I have two fans I prefer two adjustable relays. One I set just under or right at the thermostat opening temp, the other about 10 degrees later. This just means you don't have a big amp draw when both fans come on (they will draw up to 30 amps starting up -- each!) and both don't run all the time. It does cost another $30-$40 in wiring and the extra thermostat though. But the wiring isn't likely to burn up, or relays.

If you're looking for budget fans check the junkyards. OEM fans can be modified to fit and are generally good quality fans. Just use a couple V-6 fans. The early Ford Taurus fan with a V-6 and AC is usually enough by itself. Get the nine curved balde type with three wires on the fan motor. This is a two speed unit, and can be wired to two thermostats and relays -- one for low speed, the other for high as I described earlier. I have mine set up so that low speed comes on when the AC is turned on, high speed with a thermostat. When high comes on it kicks the low speed thermostat off, and reconnects low speed when high goes off. Low speed will only come on when the AC is on also though -- the break for high speed is after the AC switch.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.