Eletrical problem maybe? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 10:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Eletrical problem maybe?

Okay I have a 1997 Cavalier Z24, Just a few days ago it overheated, I checked everything and it seemed Ok, i refilled the antifreeze and it ran fine for a few days. And again it overheated today. I took it in to the shop and they said it was a problem with my eletrical wires. They said my cooling fan was not turning on therefore it would overheat. Another thing i noticed was now my head lights and running lights wont turn on as well... Anyone here know an easy fix to this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 10:47 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have a 97 cavalier too, I had the overheating problem with the fan..but didn't know it til after i crashed it and they repaced it If i remember correctly the wires for the headlights and running lights run pretty close to the rad..its possible you could of melted them in the overheat. If you don't want to fix the fan you can use this trick I used to do, when you notice the guage start to creep up, turn the heat on it'll cool it down.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Temp

[size=3]Doc here

Are you experiencing any dead batteries at all?

As far as the fan, locate and test the Temp Sender for the fan...

Some are right at the bottom of the radiator, Check to see it has 12 volts on one side of it with the key on, and when the engine comes up to temp, 12 volts on BOTH sides of the Sender...

If you Don't have 12 volts at Either side Check the Fuse at the fuse box..it may be blown. If it's good, Follow the harness back to the fan and look for an open circuit (cut wire)

If you have 12 volts on only one terminal of the sender at all temps...replace the sender, it is shot...

To test the fan, pull the sender plug and on the wire going to the FAN , hook a jumper wire from a 12 volt source, It should run..This means the motor is good.

You COULD run it this way TEMPORARILY until you track down the problem , but It is not a cure..and it's not good for your engine! (but better then overheating) Your engine will run too cold, and your smog may malfunction...AND you also have to open the hood and disconnect it every time you stop...So I would only do this for a VERY short time (like going to get parts...)

About your headlights..Some cars run multiple fusible links yours may have one for the lighting circuit, and the fan wires may also be on that circuit..If a link opened then they would go dead..Anything else not working?

If it in fact is wired through it's own link, It will be along the wire harness under the hood area (not inside the car) The best way to find out is get a manual for your car and see if it shows one.

Doc
[/size]

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.