Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Embarassing screw ups
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
I once left a rag in the lifter valley, and then started the truck... not good.....
I had my car at the auto shop back in high school doing some work to it. I had the carb off because I blew the power valve (I'll get to that story in a minute). Anyway, I stuffed some blue shop rags into the plenum of my brand new Victor Jr intake manifold and laid another rag over the top of the intake. I replaced the power valve, pulled the rag off the intake, put the carb back on and tried to start it. I couldnt get it to start and I couldn't figure out why, it had spark and it had fuel. My shop teacher came out and looked at as I cranked it over. Just then it spit a small piece of blue shop towel back out of the carb. He just looked at me and walked off. I ended up having to pull the intake off and use a coat hanger to pull the paper towels out of six of the intake ports in the heads.

Now to the reason I had to replace the power valve in the first place. I was getting ready to start my car for the first time and break in the cam. This was taking place before school at the auto shop. It wouldn't start so I leaned over the carb and opened up both butterflies to see if I could see anything. Just as I said "Don't start the car" the kid in the car turned the key and I saw a bright orange and red ball of flame shooting up toward me. I ended up having my eyelashes and eyebrows as well as some of the hair on the top of my head singed off. My face was cherry red and burned for a couple hours. Turns out the distributor was in 180 out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387

Ive done similar to that. I was replacing the carb base gasket on my truck, and when I pulled the carb off I dropped one of the nuts down the intake
My dad had that happen to him one time. He wasn't 100% sure that he'd dropped the nut but he heard it when he started the engine. He ended up having to take one of the heads off to retrieve it. No damage done, just a lot of extra work for a stupid little nut.

Last edited by Blazin72; 07-28-2006 at 06:12 PM.