Embarassing screw ups - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
did a head job on a taurus, ..
I'm speechless...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

i was at cecil county drag strip in Md one friday night test runnin my old 71 mustang notchback i had dumped a 460 in...
done few passes but the carb wasnt quite setup right yet..i was still runnin mid 11's with it that way..a guy walked over to me after i got off the return lane across the stage lane traffic & wanted to do a heads up run..he had a buick skylark 455..i seen his runs at mid 11's & KNEW i could whoop his butt once i tuned her in a little better..so i pulled in the lot..popped the hood & pulled the wingnut off the air cleaner..pulled the air cleaner off..set it down..noticed the wing nut was missing out of my hands..looked all around the intake..no where..looked on the ground..no where..got 2 of my buddys looking all around with flashlights..no where..by then i was MAD..long story short..the guy that wanted ro run me said i came up with a good excuse not to have run him because i was pulling the intake off & didnt get it done before the last passes were being allowed at 11 at night..

i got da bastid a few weeks later in delaware on a cruise night though..he didnt even stop to acknowledge his loss..& never seen him again at the drag strip or cruise nights
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Where is Rob Keller? This is his kind of thread.
Thanks for the vote of confidence
Figured I'd wait a bit. . . . . . .

Hmmm. . . lets see

Replaced cam in my 71 LeMans about 2 months later It runs outta gas at a stop sign ...no fuel ?? forgot to torque down the fuel pump eccentric bolt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ripped off a running board on a moving van with the forklift never pull out into a road FORKS FIRST!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh here's a classic
Been busting on a co worker @ the gas station for a while you know the Ford/ Chevy thing..

Well this day I had been be bopping though the woods & came to work to get paid .
Now the old 250 in line 6 used to have a detonation problem.

So as I go to leave he's parked next to me drivers side to drivers side & his Ford P/U wouldn't start
so my instant response was to say see you could have bought a Chevy {& start up mine}

{When I shut it off the screw holding the wing nut bridge had completely backed out & fell into the motor}

Hit the key & the most god awful sound came from #5 piston as big pieces of it came off as this stupid little screw busted the crap out of the piston.

So this leads to a rebuild of the motor months of saving & riding the motor cycle (winter time)

So then when I put the motor back in, I did not get the torque converter in the pump
so now I have to have the trans rebuilt.

I think I'm more a victim of others stupidity more than my own. . . . . ....

proof here.

The guy that came so highly recommended to rebuild the tranny only took him ,[yup I'm gonna spell it out so there is NO CONFUSION],

ELEVEN TIMES!!

I got to the point that I could, from start to finish,
In the dirt ,
By my self ,
No air tools &
a POS throw away floor jack...

Swap out time

3 hours from tear down to down the road

Oh Yea the guy who rebuilt the motor forgot to tighten down a rod cap in between one of the trans replacements
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& I will drive my point home with 3 other examples. . .

I had a DOLT mount a 15" tire on a 14" rim that blew up when I went to move it lucky for me:
1. he wasn't there when it happened!
2. it blew away from me & bounced of the ceiling leaving tire tread up there.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also had a know nuthing jerk drop a 1/2 filled gas tank while I was cutting out a exhaust system in the bone yard.

He came up behind me after I lit up & dropped it ,when it fell out of the car, It flipped over spilling a lot of fuel out while I am blowing red hot slag into it!

There was a dozen people screaming at me just before it got real hot in there .Because I could not see what was going on .
I had my burning goggles on.

Lucky that the fire snuffed out cause it used all the air inside the shop area.

Don't ever let 2 people set each side of a lift.

This was before the arms auto locked.

In the bone head yard {again} I was on the fork lift putting the car on the lift when 2 guys offered t help & each set the lift differently well I beamed the car up & didn't know better to check . I seen the one arm was not touching & pulled on something & the car came down on me throwing me into the garage door .

Well I hope I didn't kill the thread.

Time to make the brownies. . . .

R
Attached Images

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Got a 78 f-250, 4X4. First 4X and took for it's first drive. Don't realize it's in Low range and take it up to 55. Unbeknownst to me shearing the oil pump= no oil pressure. My assumption bad oil pressure gage.

Lasts about 20 miles before bad knock. I take it most of way home as engine is already toast...

Final tally broke the cam, and two main rods. One of which was u shaped. Parts of the cam where in the oil pan. There where 2 holes in the oil pan also.

Replaced the 351m with another junkyard one.

Find out trans is shot... Another trip to the yard shortly after having the engine out once.

Put trans in without pulling motor, and did not use locktite. (Never had to with my mopars) End up with A starter dropping out of it, B engine and trans separating.

When the axle (which I never worked on ) came out at 60 with the rear wheel and drum, bouncing across my flatbed on the way, I got rid of the truck.

Some my fault, some just bad luck...
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

I had just gone through my carb (overhaul) and it felt fine on the street but once I got it out to the dragstrip it was lacking in top end, Made 2 passes and was trying to figure it out when I noticed that the secondary linkage was sticking. Long story short, I used the wrong carb gasket and the holes were too small for the butterflies. Doh!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Hey this in off topic huh?
It doesn't have to be about cars, does it?

I was a carpet layer for several years. (at least I wasn't doing head jobs ) Alot of times we would go to an address and install the carpet when there was no one home. We would get instructions to go around back and go thru the patio door or garage..

I got to the house, went around back and got in, the door was unlocked just like it said on the invoice.

I moved all the furniture, ripped up the old stuff and installed the new carpet in the whole house .......and it was the wrong house. It was in a tract so floor plans matched up. I had misread the address. The owners were surprised and actually liked their new carpet.

It musta been the brownies

I had to buy some carpet.

This is very cathartic. It is almost like step nine in AA.

I just rememembered this one! I used chrome moly pushrods with guide plates on a windsor motor one time.
Those guide plates wore through those in a matter of days. I found out when I missed a shift and about 6 of them folded over.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about changing rear drum brakes on a Cavalier wagon (including both wheel cylinders), and leaving the one on the left rear out.... I just couldn't get the shoes to drag one bit. Go figure. Rush job, in the rain, in my driveway, too much beer (or maybe not enough.... ). Said screw it and got bombed the rest of the evening.

In a while, Chet.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

YOU just had to . . . go . . . there didn't you !?!?

MIKEY!!!

At the rate things are going Murphy is gonna get bumped & my name instead if we keep going off road . . .UM I mean off topic

R

Old 08-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

embarrassing screw up??

I moved into a house next door to my wife's mother ,who is a retired EX cop, who worked in the Lake County Mens Prison for 22 years!!!

R

Old 08-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

But Rob!!!

You know you need that kind of AUTHORITAH!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'll bet when she puts her uniform on you don't take your eyes off of her.

now what the HELL are you talkin bout here?????
Quote:
YOU just had to . . . go . . . there didn't you !?!?

MIKEY!!!

At the rate things are going Murphy is gonna get bumped & my name instead if we keep going off road . . .UM I mean off topic
Who is murphy , where is "there" and we are already in OFF TOPIC!!

This is a test , right?
B B B B B B BBBBBBBBrownie, PUH-LEZE

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 08-02-2006, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Have you been in the paint thinner again

LOL

Yea I miss her But My Aim will be true someday . . .

she is more your type trust me

You Know Murphy's law

"no Good deed goes unpunished"
"If anything can go wrong it will"
"Never play leap frog with a unicorn"

There : off road!

BBBBBB B B B B B B B B B BITE MY brownies

R

ZORT!!! NARF !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crazy_Cat_Lady.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	13867   Click image for larger version

Name:	i106214049899909te.gif
Views:	46
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	13868   Click image for larger version

Name:	zort.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	13869  
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is an interesting thread. I find it odd that there are so few of these stories being posted given the amount of people and years of experience here.

I had just finished building a 455 Buick up for my Regal. I had it all done and road ready, all I needed to do was take it home. I made it about 3-4 miles and just as I was turning a corner, the engine just shut off...no sputter, no anything...just shut off. I was under the hood checking wiring, battery, etc. when a friend pulled up. He looked at it for about 30 seconds prior to letting me know that I was out of gas.

I sure felt like an idiot...who in their right mind would expect the thing to drink 4 or 5 gal. of gas in such a short distance?

Another time, I had just swapped intakes and was looking for the rag I had used to cover the lifter galley to wipe my hands with... yep, still right where I left it. At least I hadn't tried to start the car yet.

One last thing, never forget to properly bolt the bumber/fascia assembly in place before driving off. The car WILL remind you.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Alright alrightttt I got more

Forgot what car it was but it was one of those odd type of flexplates that don't have any teeth on it since the converter has the teeth welded on it instead. It's just a weirdly shaped piece of metal, almost like a diamond shape where the converter bolts up to. Anyway, long story short after I get everything tightened up and buttoned together, my boss hears a little clicking as the rpm's increase and guess what happened, I accidently overtightened one of the bolt's a bit too much and it cracked the flexplate. Had to take the tranny back out againnnn to replace the flexplate.. Harsh lesson to be careful using an air ratchet to tighten down things. If I have to work on one of those again, I'm sticking with good ol' fashion wrench/ratchet to tighten it down.

Got another durrr moment Anootherrrr one related to the converter, I'm just on a role! Fwd tranny on I think a honda, got done installing it/tightening everything down when I come upon a sheet in the box where the new converter came in. I read it and I said you've got to be kidding... What it said was, "Notice, new converter requires the stock bolts to be ground down 2 threads to avoid damaging the converter." Guess what I forgot to do... Luckily I didn't damage the converter and my boss was mad at me for being stupid haha but he forgave me and just told me to pay attention to what comes in the box next time.

But wait there's more!! Another converter related one??? You betcha! These things are cursed I tell ya!! Threading all the bolts in one at a time, hand started of course because sometimes the bolt pattern will only go in one certain way so a bit of a pita whenever you get a few bolts tightened and realize the other one's won't work that way so thennn you have to take the other one's out and figure out which way everything will match up. Anyway once I got all the bolts in the proper spot, began tightening down one at a time and you know what happens when you're tightening down the bolts. Converter starts to flush up with the flexplate causing the other bolts to stick out more. Spinning the flexplate around as I was going around tightening them up one at a time and some were sticking out a bit. As they were being spun around, the bolts that were sticking out a bit got caught up towards the top and were digging into metal. Thattt was fun getting the flexplate to turn again and drive in the bolts a bit more. More of a durrrr moment and didn't hurt anything. Maybe a couple scratch marks but ya know

Wow I'm not fired yet?? Hahaha just a few mistakes here and there that you have to learn from, not bad considering I've worked there a year and have had a couple things happen but hey, I'm not perfect. No one is, no Rob not even you
Old 08-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

wow..didnt realize this was gonna be such a good thread when i started it

couple more from me..
one time changing a worn out 5 speed tranny in my old 86 Bronco II 4x4..got it all back together...couldnt wait to get 'er back on the road cause the ole lady was in the house packin ours & kids clothes to head out the next morning up to Pa to my ole family's property to ski..fish & boat for 2 weeks..
got in it..headed up the road...hmmm..clutch is slippin & i put in a brand new set & its all haydraulic non adjustable?...oops...put the clutch disk in backwards & even after i was preaching to my son while doing it."make SURE you always get it in the way it says to be..it is NOT the same"....

me & a bro was out 4x4'n in his 72 K5 blazer in the woods close by here on our property playin in the mud..we had drank quite a few beers by then..so we wassa laughin & actin like a couple rednecks(more like BEING) throwin mud around...got stuck in a pretty good hole..so i decided to jump out & try & give 'er a push..bro was still on the throttle rockin her back & forth trying to get 'er to come up out..i closed the door behind me..noticed my jean shirt tail was stuck in the door jam...all of a sudden before i could get a hold of the door handle(this truck has 42's on it 6 inch suspension & 3 inch body) wayyy up there while i was trompin around in the thick mud??..the truck came loose!!..and my bro was gettin on 'er HARD tryin to keep it goin outta the hole!! & couldnt see me cause i was WAYYY down there..i didnt get hurt..but sure had a QUICK lesson on how to ski in the mud !!.....

kinda reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy..

yer a redneck if........................
you drink beer & ski in the mudholes along side of a BIG 4x4...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

When I was about 18 or so, my cutlass was overheating on the way to work. When I got there I got the bright idea to pop off the radiator cap and release the pressure while still hot. I used a rag, and opened it slow, but antifreeze still exploded dousing me with hot antifreeze in the process. Good thing It wasn't a direct hit. If you ever showered in antifreeze you know it is very sticky and my hair was like a greaser right out of the 50's. Good thing no dang cats were around. Pretty embarassing walking into work. I should of just found some water, turned around and went home for the day, and hit the shower as soon as I got there.
I could use some new carpet and vinyl flooring in my house. I am too cheap and don't want to stick money into a place I rent. I would consider having it done for a few brownies. Wait rob and power rods brownies are more pricey then your typical betty crocker store bought. My brother installs carpet and flooring for a living, but I don't ask him to work cheap and he doesen't eat brownies that cause funny images to appear, making house numbers look different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.