Embarassing screw ups - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Embarassing screw ups

how about a thread on things youve done that were embarassing or just one of those moments you hit yourself in the head & say"what the heck was i thinking?..duhhhhh!!"

here's one of mine....

i pulled a truck outside the garage to spray an epoxy primer on it instead of covering everything up in the garage & spraying it there...
got it done..pulled the truck back in the garage..went in the house & cleaned up & sat on my recliner watchin a few shows..wife came inside with an arm load of clothes from the clothesline..walked over to me all red in the face & MADDDD..threw the Bra's & undies at me & said"look at my clothes now!!"

oooppppppssss..i was in such a hurry it never crossed my mind the clothesline was downwind from me spraying the truck..oh well..i said to her"well hunny..now ya can tell all your girlfreinds you have Custom Bra's & Panties!"""

can you say..DOGHOUSE........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

just shoot some flames on the cups.... HOTT!!!

man, I never screw up. ....

did a head job on a taurus, got it all buttoned up, realized i'd failed to reinstall the fuel injection harness... had to take it back down to the lower intake manifold....

not really a screw up, but i highly suggest NOT using the dishwasher as a parts cleaner.

my most embarasking screw up would have to be.... cutting a hole in my cab to mount an antennae, not getting it installed before it began to rain, now i have a freaking rust line on the drivers side where my rain gutter used to be.... makes me want to use words deemed unsuitable by the resident hall moniters....
Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

[QUOTE=crazy larry]

did a head job on a taurus, got it all buttoned up, realized i'd failed to reinstall the fuel injection harness... had to take it back down to the lower intake manifold....

i kind of had a same situation on my daughters 97 dodge neon a few years ago..timing belt went out & those are the "interference" engines..in other words when the timing belts goes the valves slaps off the top of the pistons..soo..have to have the valves replaced & the head shaved..so i got it all done..put it ALLLLLLL back together..kept noticing an oil puddle under the car after starting it & letting it run a bit to check things out..looked to see where it was..i had pinched a peice of the igition harness in the back of the head & it was stuck in there..talk about throwing a temper tantrum.& those little things aint easy at all to work on..have to practicly pull the engine out to do it all right.....
Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

How's she look in primer?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

I once left a rag in the lifter valley, and then started the truck... not good.....
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I was changing the clutch on a GM air conditioning compressor, didn't remove the snap ring before installing the puller.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Me? Screw up?? Bwahaha I don't recall the meaning of that word.. My boss brought his aunt's car in and just wanted me to do a routine oil change on it (nothing much going on that day), drained it, replaced filter, nothing special. Trouble began when I begin filling the motor up with oil.. The little snap circular part on the quart of oil where it keeps the cap on until you unscrew it, popped off and ploop, fell down deep into the head.. That damn little notch that keeps the oil cap on snagged that ring off. I stood there for a second and wanted to yell, "F!@#!$" But maintained my composure.. somewhat haha and tried to figure out what to do before having to tear things apart to get to it. There was quite a bit of stuff that needed to be taken off just to get to the valve cover bolts, i hate caddy's.. And that wouldn't even guarantee that the little ring didn't stay in the heads. I was anticipating taking off the intake to try and find the ring and nooo way my boss would be happy about that.. Found one of those long tools with 3 little hooks on the end that is attached to a cable so when you push on the end of it, it'll open up the teeth and it can grab something. I went blind fishing.. literally couldn't see anything, caught onto something, pulled it up phewwww what a relief! Got that little sucker, luckily it did stay in the head area and didn't fall down into the lifter valley. Geez, that bastard ring still haunts me. My boss probably would've kicked my arse if I had to start pulling the intake off to find where it went.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Gee, what have I touched mechanically lately that went together right on the first try??? Nothing comes to mind easily. From the church lawnmower with one blade re-installed upside down to my little trailer/ truck issues to, well, you get the picture. I should sell it all.....

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
Me? Screw up?? Bwahaha I don't recall the meaning of that word.. My boss brought his aunt's car in and just wanted me to do a routine oil change on it (nothing much going on that day), drained it, replaced filter, nothing special. Trouble began when I begin filling the motor up with oil.. The little snap circular part on the quart of oil where it keeps the cap on until you unscrew it, popped off and ploop, fell down deep into the head.. That damn little notch that keeps the oil cap on snagged that ring off. I stood there for a second and wanted to yell, "F!@#!$" But maintained my composure.. somewhat haha and tried to figure out what to do before having to tear things apart to get to it. There was quite a bit of stuff that needed to be taken off just to get to the valve cover bolts, i hate caddy's.. And that wouldn't even guarantee that the little ring didn't stay in the heads. I was anticipating taking off the intake to try and find the ring and nooo way my boss would be happy about that.. Found one of those long tools with 3 little hooks on the end that is attached to a cable so when you push on the end of it, it'll open up the teeth and it can grab something. I went blind fishing.. literally couldn't see anything, caught onto something, pulled it up phewwww what a relief! Got that little sucker, luckily it did stay in the head area and didn't fall down into the lifter valley. Geez, that bastard ring still haunts me. My boss probably would've kicked my arse if I had to start pulling the intake off to find where it went.

Ive done similar to that. I was replacing the carb base gasket on my truck, and when I pulled the carb off I dropped one of the nuts down the intake
Couldn't get a little claw grabber like yours to get it. So I borrowed my dad's truck to go to oriellys and bought a $10 dollar telescoping magnet. That thing saved my butt. I was lucky that I got it out, I had to fight with the magnet stickin to the heads some but I got it out.

Brad
Old 07-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387

Ive done similar to that. I was replacing the carb base gasket on my truck, and when I pulled the carb off I dropped one of the nuts down the intake
Couldn't get a little claw grabber like yours to get it. So I borrowed my dad's truck to go to oriellys and bought a $10 dollar telescoping magnet. That thing saved my butt. I was lucky that I got it out, I had to fight with the magnet stickin to the heads some but I got it out.

Brad
Geez.. I might've gotten fired that day and that's what I'm always nervous about. I make mistakes here and there and don't think they're a big deal but I'm always wondering what the boss will think and bla bla bla will have to hear him lecture me even though they're usually just small mistakes. I had to listen to him ramble on the rest of the day when that incident happened. Needless to say, I wasn't in a good mood when I got home. A nut in the intake? Bahhh start it up, it'll be finnneee You might hear a little clatter noise but it's nothing trusstt mee!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:05 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
I once left a rag in the lifter valley, and then started the truck... not good.....
I had my car at the auto shop back in high school doing some work to it. I had the carb off because I blew the power valve (I'll get to that story in a minute). Anyway, I stuffed some blue shop rags into the plenum of my brand new Victor Jr intake manifold and laid another rag over the top of the intake. I replaced the power valve, pulled the rag off the intake, put the carb back on and tried to start it. I couldnt get it to start and I couldn't figure out why, it had spark and it had fuel. My shop teacher came out and looked at as I cranked it over. Just then it spit a small piece of blue shop towel back out of the carb. He just looked at me and walked off. I ended up having to pull the intake off and use a coat hanger to pull the paper towels out of six of the intake ports in the heads.

Now to the reason I had to replace the power valve in the first place. I was getting ready to start my car for the first time and break in the cam. This was taking place before school at the auto shop. It wouldn't start so I leaned over the carb and opened up both butterflies to see if I could see anything. Just as I said "Don't start the car" the kid in the car turned the key and I saw a bright orange and red ball of flame shooting up toward me. I ended up having my eyelashes and eyebrows as well as some of the hair on the top of my head singed off. My face was cherry red and burned for a couple hours. Turns out the distributor was in 180 out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387

My dad had that happen to him one time. He wasn't 100% sure that he'd dropped the nut but he heard it when he started the engine. He ended up having to take one of the heads off to retrieve it. No damage done, just a lot of extra work for a stupid little nut.

Last edited by Blazin72; 07-28-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

I won't admit to any screwups, but there is a 6 foot by 4 foot puddle of some automotive fluid in mom's basement that begs to differ.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Yep done the 180 out deal and singed the hair of me head (pop was doin the crankin.....) he was laughin his arse off seeing me fly off the fender of the car, specially scince he told me to make sure it wasnt 180 out (I was 15)

my next opps came when I was welding up the exhaust on the 49, twas int eh garage, on jack stands, not as high as it could be and space was limited, I was laying on the ground seeing as the creeper would have put me two inches closer to the welding and it was already over my head making the job even more miserable (dead of summer right after it rained in florida) Well I finished welding the top and instead of crawling out from under the truck to grab my inspection mirror I poke my head up as far as I can get it to take a gander at the top of the weld, well, my forehead contacted the hot friggen pipe way before I gained visual on the target normal instincts kicked in, I jerked back bouncing my head off the pavement, where instinct kicked me in the nether regions once again and I went back to the hot pipe, and repeated this 4 times over before I finally got myself to stop beating myself up .....ended up with a choice burn on my forehead and a nice large goose egg on the back of my head. Plus I had a VIP flight I was flying the very next day looking like I got the crap kicked out of me.....great first impression....
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Ever wonder why my mom doesn't like it when I change my own oil?
Several times, Ive would have just drained the oil and pull the bucket of used oil out from under. And I would crawl under there and put the drain plug back in.

Then comes when I have to wrestle my way out from under there and guess what my leg kicks over........yes the bucket of oil
This has happend several times, I have since learned to MOVE the bucket far away before I crawl back under there to put the drain plug back in.

Brad
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Here is a partial list.

Left the oil pump shaft out of a brand new motor, fired it up and waited for the oil pressure to come up....waited and waited. It was a good thing I used lots of moly lube on that one. It lived for 135000 miles after I replaced the shaft. (no lie)

Did a power steering conversion on a 57 dodge pickup using a saginaw box off a 78 chev 4x4..made all the brackets, cut down the column and attached it, hooked up all the lines and adapted a pitman arm to it...I tested the steering and it steered backwards. I never felt more stupid in my life..Luckily I called Durex and the owner knew his stuff. A third gen econoline van has the same guts as a GM box, but is reverse rotation. Send it to durex and problem solved.

I installed the timing chain in my 73 blazer 4 teeth off. ( I lined it up like you can a ford, key to key)
Dur hur. (There is actually a post in a thread about that HERE it actually ran.

I was helping load up to move the fiberglass shop and pushed a 34 coupe replica body right off the side of a flatbed semi with the forklift. Smashed the roof all to flivvers. It eventually became a roadster and was raced by a lady named Gloria Mills.
I saw it at pleasanton a few years back.

Yall want some more? well here's some more

Installed the clutch disc backwards in my 74 chevy van, It engaged ok, but was somewhat noisy on release.

Installed a new 3.50 gearset in a customers car ...and forgot oil.
Yes I drove it. new gears...........380.00 with installation.

Installed the cam in my shovelhead using the timing marks for the generator motor.( it is a cone motor)
I kicked that thing for hours, (kick only bike), then dragged it down the street with my pickup and used a whole can of starting ether before I realized I'd done something wrong.

changed the oil in the carpet installer van tranny. I thought it would be a good idea to run it a little with the pan off....you know, to drain the torque converter. (Yes I am polish, and there were brownies involved )

New tranny..............650.00

am I done?

I used a whole tube of silicone sealer on my 71 XL 250 top end. All those little snotty strings of silicone filled up the centrifigal oil filter and stopped oil to the top end.

New head and barrel, cam and crank bearings.......350 (this was a long time ago)

broke the glass in my chevy van by slamming the door with the window halfway down. Broke the replacement window by hammering the lower channel on with the edge of the glass sitting on my lawn. The glass found a rock and shattered.

window # 1 85.00
window# 2 65.00...the glass guy gave me a discount on the second piece when I told him my story.

Every one of those things are true and happened to me.
I'm sure there are more. I'm too depressed to remember them right now.
I hope you are laughing at my misfortune, It should bring someone some joy.

Where is Rob Keller? This is his kind of thread.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 08-02-2006 at 01:55 AM. Reason: To fix just one more embarrassing screwup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.