Emergency help, Timing chain installation. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Emergency help, Timing chain installation.

Hello folks I just got my timing cover off of my 350 chevy small block to take out my pete jackson gear drive. Before I took anything off I had my wife put her finger in the number 1 spark plug hole to make sure it was on top dead center on the compression stroke and she said the pressure was blowing her finger out so I new it was ok. It was at tdc on my timing cover so all was good. Ok took my timing cover off and my dots are lined up on my gear drive but the cam gear dot is at 12 oclock and the crank gear is on 12 oclock as well. I called summit tech and they said I could just put the timing chain on with the crank gear at 12 and the cam gear at 6 oclock and it will be fine. But that will have my cam out of 180 degrees will it not? I don't know what to do as far as lining the dots up. I was expecting to see the top gear at 6 oclock not noon. Also I loosened the first 4 bolts up on my oil pan but I can not get it to drop down any so I can get my new front seal gasket on and to put the silicone acrott where it and the other gasket mate. Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys your the best.
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

Emergency help, Timing chain installation.

put her finger in number 6 and your dots will line up .
as for your crank at 6 o-clock and your cam at 12 noon
there right for it being number one tdc

oops i ment crank at high noon also
Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Or you can just line the dots up the way the instructions say to do it and it will come out right as well. The cam just has to be in phase with the crankshaft. The shortblock doesn't care whether you are on the compression or exhaust stroke.

Basically what I am saying is that you can install the timing chain at 12 o clock on the cam and it is TDC on compression on #1 or you can line them up at 6 (cam) and 12 oclock (crank) and it will be at TDC on exhaust on #1.

Either way it will be right.

If you want to be sure just line up the marks per the instructions and you can't get it wrong. Now if you want to do it without loosening your rocker arms then you need to install it just the way it came out.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Cool thanks guys I appreciate it. I already got my gear drive off and I will never use one again. take care
Eric
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Hello folks I just got my timing cover off of my 350 chevy small block to take out my pete jackson gear drive. Before I took anything off I had my wife put her finger in the number 1 spark plug hole to make sure it was on top dead center on the compression stroke and she said the pressure was blowing her finger out so I new it was ok. It was at tdc on my timing cover so all was good. Ok took my timing cover off and my dots are lined up on my gear drive but the cam gear dot is at 12 oclock and the crank gear is on 12 oclock as well. I called summit tech and they said I could just put the timing chain on with the crank gear at 12 and the cam gear at 6 oclock and it will be fine. But that will have my cam out of 180 degrees will it not? I don't know what to do as far as lining the dots up. I was expecting to see the top gear at 6 oclock not noon. Also I loosened the first 4 bolts up on my oil pan but I can not get it to drop down any so I can get my new front seal gasket on and to put the silicone acrott where it and the other gasket mate. Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys your the best.
Eric
With the SBC when the crank gear mark is at 12 o'clock and the cam gear mark is at 6 o'clock, the engine is ready to fire number 6. Its probably better to set up this way as the two marks are facing each other which makes it easy to see that they're aligned. With one complete rotation of the crank, its gear mark is again at 12 o'clock while the cam gear's mark has also moved to 12 o'clock. This is firing position for number one and is when the distributor should be installed.

Bogie
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

If the distributor is still in you need to line the dots up like they were or the distributor will be 180 off.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys well I just installed my timing chain the same way my pete jackson gear drive was the crank gear at 12 oclock and the cam gear at 12 oclock that was the only way I could put it on with out turning it over. I already had my floating gears off so I did not want to mess with anything so everything is on and should be ok since I have not changed anything timing wise. I tried to make sure and there was no way I could do wrong the dots are aligned up from top to bottom both at 12 oclock and could not be done any other way without turning it over. Thanks for input you guys are awesome.
Eric
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM

Yeah as long as the dots are lined up somehow at either 6 or 12, it will be fine, might just have to rotate dist 180 deg.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM

gear drive

whats wrong with the gear drive???
Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM

gear drive

i cant complain about my loud gear drive one bit. its the loudest one they make too. can hardly hear the thing when driving the car. but at idle it can drive you nuts a little bit. but other than that no problem here.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

Well I like a gear drive compared to a timing chain but I started to have a bunch of slop when turning my engine over by hand with my clutch fan. So I was going to have my dad fix it but he is busy at the moment fixing his car so I thought I would do it myself and get experience doing things like this. Well after I got everything off I found out the the right idler gear was looser compared to the other side and it had a lot of play with it and it kept digging into my timing cover more and more over time. My aluminum timing cover was clearanced for the gear drive but somhow it just kept digging in my cover so much that eventually it would have either skipped a gear or worse just starting to break teeth off. I had never had problems with timing chains like this and I did not get a cheap one but I got a cloyes (Jegs) billet steel double roller timing chain set with torrington bearing. I already got it installed and after its all said and done(fingers crossed) it will run nice and happy again after some carb tunning(different problem). I just don't want to pay 160 bucks for another gear drive and have it go bad so quickly. Also don't have to worry about all the extra harmonics it puts on my valvetrain and cam.
Eric

Last edited by eric32; 06-19-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.