emision loopholes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 08:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

emision loopholes

i was talking to an old mechanic today and he said that i didnt need to the air pump in my truck for my emisions and i just need a real good cat has any one heard of this i live in texas is this true

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Up here in Canada, I have seen a number of cars pass without the air pump. 90 percent of the time a good cat will give you a pass.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:06 PM

thanks, but has any one know about texas or has done this
Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sorry, but your friend is wrong.

Taken from chapter 114 of the Texas emission laws and regulations.

(a) Any person owning or operating any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine on which is installed or incorporated a system or device used to control emissions from the motor vehicle in compliance with federal motor vehicle rules shall maintain the system or device in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated.

(b) No person may remove or make inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the system or device, or part thereof, is to install another system or device, or part thereof, which is equally effective in reducing emissions from the vehicle. Acceptable removal and/or installation practices include:

(1) Replacement of the engine of a vehicle if:

(A) the design of the replacement engine has received prior approval of the EPA;

(B) the design of the replacement engine is compatible with the vehicle chassis such that all applicable pollution control systems and devices are properly installed and operable; and

(C) the resulting vehicle is identical, with regard to all emission-related parts and emission-related engine design parameters and calibrations, to the same or a newer model year vehicle, as originally equipped.

(2) Replacement of a catalytic converter on a vehicle if:

(A) the replacement catalyst is an original equipment manufacturer's catalyst or an aftermarket catalyst accepted by EPA; and

(B) conformance with subparagraph (A) of this paragraph is documented during the inspection of the vehicle, or upon request.

(3) Installation of conversion equipment to allow the use of an approved alternative fuel, if the conversion kit components are recognized by the Texas Railroad Commission as complying with applicable safety requirements.

(4) Replacement or installation of any other system or device if:

(A) the system or device can be demonstrated to be at least as effective in reducing emissions as the original equipment; and

(B) conformance with subparagraph (A) of this paragraph is documented, upon request.

(c) No person may sell, offer for sale, lease, or offer to lease in the State of Texas any motor vehicle unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The motor vehicle shall be equipped with either the control systems or devices that were originally a part of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine or an alternate control system or device as designated in subsection (b) of this section.

(2) The control systems or devices required in paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be in good operable condition.

(3) A notice of the prohibition and requirements of this subsection shall be displayed at all commercial motor vehicle sales facilities, vehicle consignment lots, and other businesses in Texas which sell, offer for sale, lease, or offer to lease more than three used vehicles per year. The notice shall be displayed in a conspicuous and prominent location near each customer entrance way and in each sales or lease office. The notice shall read, "State law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the TCAA of up to $25,000 per violation." This notice shall be no smaller than 8 inches by 10 inches (20.32 cm by 25.4 cm) and shall be clearly visible to all customers.

(d) Any part or component of an air pollution control system or device of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine equipped with such air pollution control system or device in compliance with federal motor vehicle rules shall not be replaced with a different part or component unless such part or component is designated as a replacement for the specific make and model of the vehicle or vehicle engine.

(e) No person may sell, offer for sale, or use any system or device which circumvents or alters any system, device, engine, or any part thereof, installed by a vehicle manufacturer to comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Control Program during actual in-use operation of a motor vehicle on Texas roadways. A notice of the prohibitions and requirements of this subsection shall be displayed at all motor vehicle parts, supply, repair, alternative fuel conversion, or other vehicle service facilities in Texas which sell, offer for sale, install, or offer to install any vehicle emission control, exhaust system or device, aftermarket alternative fuel conversion, or engine. The notice shall be displayed in a prominent and conspicuous location near each consumer entrance way and service counter. The notice shall read: "State law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, or using any system or device for the purpose of circumventing the emission control device on a vehicle or vehicle engine. State law also prohibits any person from removing or disconnecting any part of the emission control system of a motor vehicle, except to install replacement parts which are equally effective in reducing emissions. Violators are subject to penalties under the TCAA of up to $25,000 per violation." This notice shall be no smaller than 8 by 10 inches (20.32 cm by 25.4 cm) and shall be clearly visible to all customers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Note: The provisions of this 114.20 adopted to be effective December 1, 1997, 22 TexReg 11388

Last edited by Jmark; 11-22-2003 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:49 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

It doesn't have to be functional, it just has to be on the vehicle. In fact after a few times, you get real good at installation then removal after emissions testing. My little brother actually contemplated using things like wing nuts to ease in the installation/removal process.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Personally, I"m for the emission laws, but only so far. In my wrenching days long ago, I"ve been known to "cheat" to get a car to pass, but only as a last resort.

I just wish they went further and would yank the oil smokers off the streets. Opacity testing is only valid on diesel vehicles here in AZ. Almost daily I see one or two older Mitsubushi 4 banger Dodge/Chrysler vans cruising down the street smoking everyone out.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Hey JMark, do they still have that "snitch hotline" that you can call in the oil burners to?

I used to live in Phoenix and I can say that with the air quality at times that emissions are not a bad idea.

Old 11-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yea, the hotline is still going. If you report someone, the city takes really strong measures!!! They send a nice letter to the owner of the offending vehicle and ask them to fix it! ROFLMAO!!! Like thats going to help. They should go yank the plate! no questions asked.

We have a HUGE number of illegals here and most drive beaters that should not be on the road anyway. Air quality here in Phx is discusting most of the time.

In my area, I"m about 300 feet higher than down town and in the mornings, there is a solid brown layer over down town. Its getting worse, not better.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:33 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Last time I lived there, I lived out past Surprise. Whenever I drove into town my eyes would start watering at about 35th and Grand on somedays and on other days about 99th and Grand.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfrek
i was talking to an old mechanic today and he said that i didnt need to the air pump in my truck for my emisions and i just need a real good cat has any one heard of this i live in texas is this true
Here in B.C. the inspection center doesn"t care if you have an air pump,a sump pump,or a breast pump under your hood.
The only thing they"re checking is your exhaust emissions and if you exceed any of the tests ur hooped.

The wifes van smokes on startup so I don"t take any chances that it wont pass.

They run you up to 35 mph on the dyno under load and hold you there for a minute.......unless of course you have studded snow tires on. They can only do an idle test with studded tires.

I guess the steel rollers grab the studs and shoot them out like bullets......

So once a year I haul out those puppies and slap them on the van. Oh I didn"t mention how long I"ve had those tires.....I bought them for a 59 desoto back in 71.....You do the math......lol
Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 AM

When I had my new motor built in January{sbc 5.7L},the motor builder said the same thing,thuss no air pump. Plus he does the emmission test himself. I havnt had the test yet,as theres many other things to get done on the truck{88fullsize Blazer} first. I got two Magnaflow cats, and a bung welded into the pipe just after the end of the header,one wire,but I may have to go with three wire. Im hoping to pass when the time comes. Up here in Ontario,they have a hotrod clause{thyre words} if the said vehicle has a replacement motor it is deemed a hotrod,and will be tested at 1968 standards.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

digitalfrek: i believe Wylie is in Tarrant County, isnt it? if so, the low speed and high speed tests only include a sniffer in the tail pipe and a clamp on number1 cylinder (for RPM visual only).

they might do a visual inspection of the engine compartment to verify smog components are in place, but depending on the model year, the engine could have been swapped. therefore, visual inspection is null and void.

when i had a Ford Ranger that wouldnt pass, the inspector gave me an idea of a few things to look at/repair and gave me a 20 day repair (get out of jail free) card.

an air pump is not always necessary for proper smog emissions. a good EGR/PCV/catalytic convertor/oxygen sensor(choose your poison) will pass your emissions.

Dale
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Yea, the hotline is still going. If you report someone, the city takes really strong measures!!! They send a nice letter to the owner of the offending vehicle and ask them to fix it! ROFLMAO!!! Like thats going to help. They should go yank the plate! no questions asked.

We have a HUGE number of illegals here and most drive beaters that should not be on the road anyway. Air quality here in Phx is discusting most of the time.

In my area, I"m about 300 feet higher than down town and in the mornings, there is a solid brown layer over down town. Its getting worse, not better.
got any idea's on how to get a oil burner to stop smoking? my '67 Falcon w/ 200 I6 smokes a little becuase of valve seals, possibly the oil rings are bad but I doubt it, the motor has about 104k miles on it. I put no smoke in it, and now that it is worked through, uppon startup, it will smoke bad, then after a few minuites of warm up, if you watch it, it literally just stops smoking so bad ( almost instantly ) , and is not bad at all, never quite got what made it but it is a whiter smoke, with a blue cast ( not steam, checked that 1, leaves my hand black when I put my hand in it, no dampness ither ). It's suprising that it smokes and my '51 Chevy with it's unrebuilt babbit 235 dosen't smoke at all.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

here in MO its just a sniff test as long as your not OBDII- I've gotten many a defunt viehicle (from semi race cars to worn out POS's) to pass with flying colors, the snif test is an easy thing to get through.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.