Emissions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Smoke Tires, Not Drugs.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Emissions.

Hey guys I posted a recent thread on my 84 Camaro now I got another question for you. I live in Maryland and Emissions is a real pain in the rear. I believe I'm just going to drop the car 2" so I can't fit onto the rollers where they test but i'd really would rather not buy a 300 Eibach lowering kit just to wait 4 years until it's a Historic car. Do you guys know a way I could get my 305 to pass without raping alot of stuff from it. I've currently got very little emissions parts on there(no EGR, no PCV's, no Stock Aircleaner, Gutted Cat, full 3" flowmasters all the way back) but it is carburated. I'm thinking if I lean it out real thin and put a stock cat on I'd pass. I'd just like an opinion here. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM

smog

Hello-

In maryland do you only have to pass a test on a machine?
Are do they do a inspection visual check to make sure it has pcv etc?
Any how i have heard that retarding igniton timing will help some but i do not live in smog state to know for sure.
When i did live in Calif. when i was young i went in for a smog test and they where able to turn a few screws etc. on my old Toyota carb car for a additional fee why it was hooked to the machine to make it pass.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Smoke Tires, Not Drugs.

Last photo:

God I'm an idiot thats what happens when I don't pay attention. posted this in the wrong forum sorry bout that. well it's here now so any help would still be appreciated.

well here in Maryland they are pretty rough, first off your car has to be 25 years old to be emissions exempt and if it's a 95 or newer I believe they just plug a module into your computer but if it's between that they put your car on a dyno type machine and get readings that way. so if that helps you any. I've heard as I've said that if you can't get your car on the rollers they give you a 2 year waiver.

Last edited by my350camaro84; 11-29-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

MY350, sounds like you have the same POS emissions program were trieing to do away with here.
My86 caballeros 305 passed smog with all the emissions hardware gone, cept I had dual catco cats....wich is technically illegal, only allowed to have a single cat....anyway... it passed with headers , mild cam, Holley 570, pertronics HEI...oh yeah...all the cumputer stuff removed to.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Old enough to know better

You do need to know if they conduct a visual inspection. Our area does and whatever their computer says came on the car has to be there before they will even try and test it. Of course, your car is old enough that the standards are not too tight. If it looks like it has all the right stuff and is well tuned, it will likely pass easily.

I figure I'll get my '81 CJ done just about the time it is elegible for classic plates. My vintage motorhome never has to be smogged again unless I sell it. It's great!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.