Emissions in new york - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Emissions in new york

i Live in New Yorkistan. wondering if i am allowed to dice the o2 censors and throttle body for a 1989 chevy truck. Was wondering what the inspection requirements are. i know that catalytic converters are visibly necessary. what issues will i bump into? am wanting to convert to carb and HEI.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
i Live in New Yorkistan. wondering if i am allowed to dice the o2 censors and throttle body for a 1989 chevy truck. Was wondering what the inspection requirements are. i know that catalytic converters are visibly necessary. what issues will i bump into? am wanting to convert to carb and HEI.
The issues are that the truck will fail under the letter of the law. The NY state emissions inspection requirements are on line. Read them. Here's the bottom line:

Each emissions inspection confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle's required emissions control devices.

Anything missing, like O2 sensors, or the EFI system, and you fail.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Depending on the year, (1996 on with OBDll) the inspection station hooks a computer to your vehicle. The read out is in turn submitted to the state for comparison to a standard. Your inspection sticker is then printed and the inspector then puts it on the wind shield. You don't have that OBDll

Your '89 will be inspected for emissions based on this:

"Some vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection program. Your passenger car or light truck does not have to be inspected for emissions if it is:

Less than two model years old;
26 model years old or older;
Registered with historical plates; or,
Electric-powered only.
"

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

But with that said, you need to read that referenced DMV brochure as it is kinda loose for earlier vehicles and what one inspector will pass, another wont and it is based on some level of interpretation.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
But with that said, you need to read that referenced DMV brochure as it is kinda loose for earlier vehicles and what one inspector will pass, another wont and it is based on some level of interpretation.
I found that in Alaska, I had rebuilt and freshly painted my GM 305 in my pickup, an inspector refused to IM it, stating it looked too clean, and assumed something had been done to it! I told him, yes, fresh stock rebuild, all emissions were intact, and I keep all my vehicles clean. Didn't matter, I went down the street and another vender IM'd it.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM

ive read all that stuff and understand that. i am trying to understand how people get this done. ive seen it many many times and there driven daily around here. thats what prompted my question.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
ive read all that stuff and understand that. i am trying to understand how people get this done. ive seen it many many times and there driven daily around here. thats what prompted my question.
Ask one of those owners.

There are only two ways people do it that I'm aware of. One is to change the equipment right AFTER an emissions test with the stock equipment (which puts the problem off for two years) and the other is to find a test tech willing to risk his license and look the other way (possibly after being lubricated with cash).

The first option might work for you - your 89 would be exempt in two years.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I think it is a matter of getting 3 of the 5 programs to run for 20 minutes hooked up,then you pass.O2,Cat,Evap as a example.As far as mods,I thought the cut-off in NYS was when it went from OBD I to OBD II.That would have been in 1994.This is the first I have heard of a two yr inspection for emissions in NYS.I don't/didn't know about that.Inspections are yearly.This yr I know if I keep the 1999 shop truck I have to work on the Evap system.Last yr I was very lucky to get it to run and passed by the skin of my teeth.The smoke test machine to test/detect faults in a Evap system is very,very,expensive.I don't own one and don't expect to buy one anytime soon as are the Evap canisters which I will have to buy a canister this yr.

Last edited by 1Gary; 03-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Go back, read my post above, including the NY-DMV brochure. When you have read that, read my last statement. DO NOT worry what the next guy does/did. He either has a buddy at the garage that didn't do a real inspection which opens him up for the potential of a fine or worse, a period in his life looking out though iron bars or the car owner changes stuff for the inspection. Many areas of Upstate NY = loosey-goosey though as I can attest to

You have to do what you feel is right - and I suggest being within the NYS DMV regulations as penalties can be expensive for you as well
1Gary (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The technical issues of converting TBI to carb aside, I read the NY state rules and came away rather confused as to what they think they're trying to do as this would apply to OBD I and pre OBD I vehicles. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/cr79.pdf

They give a lot of attention to OBD II which is pretty much a self enclosed and sustaining system. The inspection for OBD II is pretty much plugging the test computer into the vehicle's computer to see what it has to say about itself. OBD I is much more visual, it doesn't tell the teacher what you were doing when teacher wasn't looking. Yet mighty little is said. The great divide in the systems before OBD II is the technology gap between OBD I and pre OBD I which varies a little by brand but is basically an event of the mid 1980's. Roughly before 1985 you're looking at vehicles with carburetors, lots of external gadgets, with no computer. Around 1984-85-86 you see electronically (computer) managed systems with electronic fuel injection taking over. Yet the NY regulations rather broad brush this with nary a mention of the great carburetor to electronic fuel injection divide.

I can see where you could be invited to think that the EFI isn't part of the emissions system and that you could replace it with a carburetor. But from a design and federally mandated stand point the EFI is truly a functional part of the emissions systems. Computer guided FI even the lowly TBI systems are a huge technical and legal step in meeting emissions yet barely receive mention in the state's emissions code. California would hang you from a meat hook if you replaced EFI with a carb and expected to get through an emissions test, even if was clean at the tail pipe, this would never get past the technical inspection.

Where you'd stand with New York State I really don't know, you'd need a darn good country lawyer with you. It is for sure a Federal violation, which New York really can't ignore, so my advice would be waiting till it doesn't need an emissions test any more before doing any changes.

Bogie
Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

thank you for the replies. not what i wanted to hear but absolutely the exact thing i expected to hear. go to work, raise a family, pay taxes, im the crook.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Go back, read my post above, including the NY-DMV brochure. When you have read that, read my last statement. DO NOT worry what the next guy does/did. He either has a buddy at the garage that didn't do a real inspection which opens him up for the potential of a fine or worse, a period in his life looking out though iron bars or the car owner changes stuff for the inspection. Many areas of Upstate NY = loosey-goosey though as I can attest to

You have to do what you feel is right - and I suggest being within the NYS DMV regulations as penalties can be expensive for you as well
Thanks for the link.I bookmarked it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.