emmisions compatible - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

emmisions compatible

i am building a efi 383 (stump puller)

i currently live in Florida so i don't give a hoot about emissions. but i wont to but all necessary emission's equipment on the engine that way if i move i wont have as much trouble.

are example state will be the worst of them them California A.K.A. "nazifornia".

so what would be needed to be emmisions compatible.

cats
egr
etc etc

remember i can change my fuel air ration timing all that good stuff with the computer before the test

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Required emission controls are based on the vehicle, not the engine. It is best to run the VIN and see what exactally came on the vehicle when new.

Here in Arizona and I think all are about the same too, ALL FACTORY INSTALLED emission equipment must remain installed and functioning for the life of the vehicle. Plus, you may have to pass the tail pipe test too, where they actually check the nox, HC and CO.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

well **** that'll be easy i still have all my emissions from the 305
Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

^^sry for the language in there guys
Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Jmark hit the nail on the head. In a nutshell, diesel vehicles and vehicles manufacturered before 1976 in CA are exempt. Technically its still federally illegal to tamper with ANY emissions equipment in any state but when was the last time you had an EPA agent pull you over for a gutted cat?

You could only install your engine in a pre-76 or diesel vehicle to be legal. You can do what they call engine changes. For that to be legal, the new engine must be from the same year or later than the vehicle. You could put a 2003 Viper V10 in your Geo Metro and get it certified at a referree station. From that point on as far as smog testing is concerned, your car is a 2003 Viper. All CARB-legal performance parts apply to the viper.

Now... if you have something like an 84 Chevy pickup with a 305, you can put a 383 in it without raising anyone's eyebrows. As long as you retain all the correct emissions equipment and as long as you selected a cam and compression ratio that will pass the sniffer, no one will ever know. The 383 retains the same external appearance so no one knows what's inside it.

You can also legally swap engines within optional powerplants for that year. For instance, with that 84 pickup you could install a 454 if it was an option on that truck. The legal way to do it is take it to a referree station and have it certified, but lots of guys do it and then just put the 454 emissions sticker under the hood. Lots of folks do that with Mustangs. They buy a 4-banger stang and then drop a 5.0 in it.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM
jack of all trades

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Technically its still federally illegal to tamper with ANY emissions equipment in any state but when was the last time you had an EPA agent pull you over for a gutted cat?

true. but. the way the government is these days, looking to raise revenue. only time will tell when they have emissions nazi's that will out to get us. all in the name of $$$$$$$$$
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Wow, I need to move to Californai!! Here in Arizona, '66 is the last year! Makes it hard to find something that can be driven on the street and go really fast! LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

I was just considering buying a house in PA and I found out that Pittsburgh is more strict on emissions than LA. CA does emissions tests every two years; dyno sniffer, visual. PA does them every year, sniffer and visual.

I'm actually finding out that CA isn't that bad. Its counterintuitive, but at least its pretty easy to understand: 1-Only put EO-numbered parts on your car, 2-swap an engine from the same year or newer and within the same class (passenger for passenger, truck for truck) and 3-laugh when they let your LT1 388 pass the sniffer because they don't know, but it failed because of a bad gas cap.

The problem with CA is that the sniffer is wildly lenient. I've seen Impala SS guys with their LT1s poked, stroked, cammed, ported, hacked computers, running O2 simulators and THEY PASS because the sniffer passed, but if they don't have an EO sticker for their air filter it won't pass visual. Its pretty ridiculous. Who cares what is going on INSIDE... the important part is what comes out the tailpipe. If that passes, why can't that be the end of it????
Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
... Who cares what is going on INSIDE... the important part is what comes out the tailpipe. If that passes, why can't that be the end of it????
The reason why they care about the equipment is that the tailpipe test is only a spot check. A tailpipe check at one or two RPM settings with the car warmed up doesn't test the full range of compliance - for example it doesn't test the evaporative system on the fuel tank. The manufacturer is required to test cars on a very extensive drive cycle that includes cold start, idling, accelerating, low speed, and high speed. It isn't practical to re-run that test every year or two, so as a compromise the testing is a two-part process. Tthe manufacturer is required to demonstrate that the emissions equipment will remain working for 50,000 miles (or is it 100,000 miles now), so if the equipment is hooked up and fucntioning there is a good chance the emissions will be in spec. The visual inspection verifies the equipment is hooked up. The tailpipe test is a spot check to verify that the installed equipment is functioning properly. The two parts taken together (tailpipe plus visual) has been determined to be the best practical annual test.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

the 4 states im thinking of moving to are Tennessee Georgia south Carolina and Alabama.

i quess ill deal with it when t comes
Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The reason why they care about the equipment is that the tailpipe test is only a spot check. The two parts taken together (tailpipe plus visual) has been determined to be the best practical annual test.
I'm more concerned when they hook the diagnostic plug to my OBD2. If I get a trouble code for something like an early transmission shift or a because I switched from a 4L60E to a T56, it doesn't pass. If they want to make the sniffer more comprehensive, that's fine with me. What bothers me is that my headers have to carry an EO number to pass. The number itself does nothing. They don't insure that I'll pass the sniffer, nor does it mean I'll fail the sniffer because they don't have the number.

It also frustrates me that they worry about the little things like the air filter that make little or no difference, but they rely on a brief sniffer to guess if my cam and heads are legal. Its too intrusive in some areas and not enough in others. Just my opinion.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Its Never To Fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Required emission controls are based on the vehicle, not the engine. It is best to run the VIN and see what exactally came on the vehicle when new.

Here in Arizona and I think all are about the same too, ALL FACTORY INSTALLED emission equipment must remain installed and functioning for the life of the vehicle. Plus, you may have to pass the tail pipe test too, where they actually check the nox, HC and CO.
I beat AZ smog. I swapped the 305 california emmissions truck to a 350, took all the smog pump stuff off, none of the canister lines were really even hooked up, just hidden under the air cleaner, egr wasn't even hooked up. Only had cats on it, just lean your carb all the way out.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Or move to AR. No inspection what so ever. If the vehicle is over 25 years old (and stock!!!), you can get an antique tag and never have to pay for the tags again.

Most with antique tags are not stock...

That has some good points, but there is some dangerous worn out junk on the roads around here.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

well Arkansas is a possibility i here its beautiful land is cheap etc etc.

basically im just looking to get out of florida.

my perfect town no emissions automotive inclined small population friendly cheap land and taxes.

^^ all that in one place slim to none

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.