employee discount?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

employee discount??

Okay I know we got plenty of dudes who work for car manufacturers. You guys really get an employee discount on cars?? how does that work? is it a percentage? does it vary from job to job (like say if you sell cars, or if you assemble them)

I was thinking that GM's (and now chrysler) lastest ad campaigns were just gimmicks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

discounts

I never worked for a dealer but a friend here at work did and he said most dealer ships offered the discount to all employes...... But the employee also got what they call a hold back it used to be 3 percent....

So i think they are offering the car at a good price but it's still not as cheep as if you still worked there... But this guy also told me it has been 10 years or so since he sold cars so i might have changed some...

keith
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I used to work in an AMC plant, making Gremlins and Hornets in the 70s. We got a slight discount, I think about 5%. Trouble was, it was off the list price, and you could generally do better than that at any dealer.

The advantage was, that you got the day off with pay, when your car was being built and got to walk through with it as it was being built. Of course, all the guys knew it was an "employee car" and it seemed to get a few hidden options, by mistake , of course. stuff like HD suspension, HD light packages, alternator etc. Anything that wasn't really detectable. ....Heck, we even saw a few extra stereos and stuff like that installed.........in the door panels, that is.....he.he,he.....................

Budget RVs
Old 07-21-2005, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

And AMC is where now? but hey everyone else did it so it was ok.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I know a lot of guys who work for Ford. The A plan saves them a lot of green. They also offer several other versions. Where I work at,FedEx,Ford offers the y plan I think,it is a discount,and saving even a few hundred on a new car purchase is nice. Ford retirees get the Z plan,which is almost identical to the A plan.Plus you can use the discount for family members also that are not Ford employees.

Unfortunatly,Fords big truck plant is laying off POSSIBLY several hundred workers,the Excursion has been dropped from the lineup and one of the plants here in Lou make them.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Honda gives 17-18% discount on vehicles and 10% on anything else with the Honda name slapped on it.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

weimer, is that based on a wholesale cost or MSRP??
Old 07-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

I work for a company that supplies the new car manufacturer. We have had an "employee discount" program for years but I have never used it. I tried once to buy my wife a Firebird but the Pontiac dealer refused to honor the program.

We had to send in to our company for a form that came to us with specific registration numbers on it. Then we were to take that form to the dealer, find the car we wanted and pay the quoted price. Problem was, they wouldn't quote a price. It was just like buying a car through normal channels......."I have to see my manager", "We'll make the best deal"....all of that B.S. I got pissed off and left the dealership, went to Carmax and bought a car in about 45 minutes. I think I got a good deal too. If you don't trade in a car, Carmax is about the best deal you're going to get. They will shaft you on a trade in though, so be careful. Best to sell the old car and buy outright from them.........my opinion anyway. Or better yet.....NEVER BUY A NEW CAR!!!!! Let some other sucker eat the first year depreciation and buy a great used one.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

normally I buy used as a rule, I prefer my cars to be loaded and its just easier. However the recent "employee" discount ads from chrysler and GM have me curious as to how real the "discount" is.. I would think that as an employee the discount would come of the "wholesale" price, or at least somewhere above that but WAY below MSRP...
Old 07-23-2005, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

I know GM and Ford have what they call A and X plans for employees.

With Ford how much you get off goes by vehicle and not a straight percentage.

The new T-bird I bought I had and A plan certificate and sticker was 44,700+
I found the car in Vermont as they only made 300 with that color for one year only and with shipping to dealer in GA price was 33,600+. I think I was charged $350 for shipping.

The X plan is not as good but still cheaper than you can negotiate with the dealer. Nice part is if you have a certificate dealer can do no screwing with figures and they get paid a flat amount by the factory.

My kid has access to an X certificate and its good enough that on his F250's he can trade at about 60,000 miles 2 years for about a $1000-2000 difference.

With the manufactures doing what there doing you can kiss re-sale prices on these cars goodby.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.