Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Enamel vs Urethane vs Polyurethane????
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
So you can add resins with the "mixing clear" to the toners in the formula and make a true polyurethane because you are simply adding different resin making it "poly"?

That makes a lot of sense and clears up that for me. If a certain resin is in the toners already, that may not be possible if I understand correctly. The toners on that UTech system for instance are a "Virgin" toner with no particular direction in technology. You add the resins to make it a lacquer, enamel or Polyurethane, right?

Is this like the S-W "Dimension" line? On the same bank you make synthetic enamel, base coat, acrylic enamel, and SS urethane. I found it to be a pretty good system. They have some problems with slow cure times but over all I thought it was pretty user friendly.

But back to the mixing ratios, they really don't mean a whole lot when it comes to determining if they are poly or just urethane because of the different amounts of iso's that "could" be in the hardener right?

Hey Barry, thank you very much for "learning me" on this subject. It really clears up a lot I never got into when I was repping.