Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Enamel vs Urethane vs Polyurethane????
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARTINSR
[B]So you can add resins with the "mixing clear" to the toners in the formula and make a true polyurethane because you are simply adding different resin making it "poly"?
Yes, that would be a "cross linked poly" Not best but OK!

That makes a lot of sense and clears up that for me. If a certain resin is in the toners already, that may not be possible if I understand correctly. The toners on that UTech system for instance are a "Virgin" toner with no particular direction in technology. You add the resins to make it a lacquer, enamel or Polyurethane, right?
Yes, a great idea! But now that ****kins bought them, its probably messed up by now! I meant Sikkens sorry for the error!

Is this like the S-W "Dimension" line? On the same bank you make synthetic enamel, base coat, acrylic enamel, and SS urethane. I found it to be a pretty good system. They have some problems with slow cure times but over all I thought it was pretty user friendly.

But back to the mixing ratios, they really don't mean a whole lot when it comes to determining if they are poly or just urethane because of the different amounts of iso's that "could" be in the hardener right?
Thats right, want to make a real profit? Take a urethane and make it a 3:1 mix. Now you have 3 gallons of clear instead of 4 and the hardener is diluted with very profitable solvents.
This would pay a lot of bonus to you rich sales people!