Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Enamel vs Urethane vs Polyurethane????
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help, I am confused?

I am building a street rod. I have happily used Rustoleum Stops Rust Automobile Primer (2081). Now I am getting ready to paint. Nobody knows what kind of topcoat is compatible with this primer. Rustoleum says that it should be compatible with most auto paint except maybe lacquer. Do I need to put a primer/sealer on top of it? If yes, what do I use? Is this primer compatible with urethane, polyurethane, epoxy, and acrylic enamel paints?

What is the real difference between enamel, urethane, and polyurethane? I see the word acrylic used also. Some are oil based, some are water based, and some are solvent based. This is really confusing. What are the pro's and con's of each one of them.

I am not looking for a show car, just a nice looking driver so I can attend rallys and rod runs. It has been suggested that I use an acrylic enamel and then top coat it with a clear urethane.

Some one help this old man. It used to be simple, enamel or lacquer depending on how much work you want to do.

Larry
ditvenet@hotmail.com