Enderle Bug Catcher on 351W - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Wiki Edits: 0

Enderle Bug Catcher on 351W

Ok folks, here's one for you. It's been a while since I've posted anything on here so a little background.

I'm building a '39 Studebaker Champ 5w coupe to run D/Gas (10.60 index). Old school, nose high 60's style Gasser & all that stuff. Rolling stock is complete, now we're on the engine.

Ford 351W, +.030, stock stroke, Rousch iron heads, custom grind cam, & other neat stuff on the inside.

Have made decision and acquired parts and I am mounting an Enderle Bug Catcher mechanical fuel injection on this engine. I purchased the adapter plates to allow me to run 289 / 302 intakes on the taller 351W. I also have mounted a Weiand tunnel ram intake, thanks to the adapters and the fact that no one makes a tunnel ram for the 351W.

What I am now seeking is ANYONE who has done this install or one similar on a SBF motor. I am looking at having to fabricate an adapter to fit this injection hat to the intake. Not an insurmountable task, and one I knew I would have to do to complete this induction set up. But, it sure seems to me that I am not the first one ever to set up a 351W (or 289 / 302) this way and that just maybe someone already has an adapter on a back shelf somewhere. Production made, custom one - off, whatever.

How 'bout it. Am I just an innovator or (more likely) am I following a path that someone has already gone down?

I'm considering either fabbing an adapter that mounts directly to the base intake itself, or fabbing one that mounts to the dual quad intake top. The dual quad top has it's advantages 'cause it gets me close to the height I need, but it may just be simpler in the long run to fab a sheet metal box from the intake up.

What are your thoughts on this? I really do want to hear opinions and suggestions.

Thanks

Murff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Something similiar to this?

(EFI Shown)

(Mechanical Shown)

-KINSLER FUEL INJECTION-

-HRE.COM-

Maybe you will find something in these two URL's...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Enderle on 351W

I appreciate the links, but it's just not quite there. HRE.com is a pretty cool site but as usual since I'm using a SBF instead of a SBC I find myself on the outside looking in.

I mean, with all the stroker options for the 351W that are available I find it odd that there isn't any manufacturer offering a tunnel ram for the 351. I'm less surprised (I guess) that there aren't any intake adapters for this motor for mounting mechanical injection.

If I was to 'modernize' my car and go with EFI then the options are vast. Kinsler and Hilborn both offer outstanding setups or I could go with a Ron's Flying Toilet setup. But alas, I'm a dinosaur building an antique from scratch. And it appears 'from scratch' will be the key.

Back to the AutoCad to design, and then to the fabricator to beg.

Thanks for the input.

Murff
Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

What do you mean on the outside? Im a member and run this. Just what you are trying to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3c.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	8052  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Well, Ok then. Guess I was just feelin' sorry for myself as there just don't seem to be that many Ford builders out there that are goin' fast. Thought maybe I was alone in a crowd. But don't just tease me, what's the low down?

Did you fab your own intake adapter?
What intake did you start with?

And how about a little detail on that FED to let me know the possibilities?

Thanks for the wake up.

Murff
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Well, its kind of like this,The engine has no idea what brand it is and injection doesnt care. It uses a like you said 302 intake with port plates where the nozzle holders are threaded in. It uses a standard injector top that is heliarced to the top. It works fine. Its a 408(351W) with Victor heads and 14.5 c/r with a 7AL-2 and a 80A-1 pump with a bug.Initially,(its my brothers and his partners)they had a 3200 lb gas cam in it that gave me fits as i didnt have all the info when i set up the injector. One thing ive found out with fords is they dont make power at high rpms.This thing makes it all at 7000 and will taper off after that. The cam was a 108 seperation 272-276@.050 installed at 4 degrees advanced.Terrible. I did get it to run 8.40s with this but it was tuff.Leaves at 6000 rpms and shifts at 7500.These fords like alot of fuel as im currently at 3.54 gpm and 2.82 a/f and its lean.Going from .036 nozzles to .038s as im currently at .085 main and .045 hi speed Had to also run their cam this season as i had a screw up at the cam manufacturers and they sent me a sm chevy billet,it wouldnt go in.LOL the new cam is 280-288 112 since im going to put in 30%,otherwise it would be 114 seperation.Yes it would have at least ran better if the cam was put back to 0 . I dont use any water and the heads stay at 135 with a 280 egt idle.He drives it back to the trailer.

The chassis is a 68 Woody 160 in that was back ruined by Frank Parks(f/c cage) 4.10 8 3/4 with 33 in tire. 5500 converter and 1.76 p/glide.

Its now being stretched to 225 in and a bigger fuel tank along with a new body and Some kind of Candy red with gold leaf

Last edited by LilSmoke; 11-29-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Update: It Lives

Hello, all-

It's been a while since I posted this but I thought an update was in order.

I was building a '39 Studebaker Coupe as an old school gasser, Well the Coupe is gone and has been replaced by a '68 Falcon. Car will be bracket race only, not licensed or designed for street use.

The big problem I was having was in my choice of fuel system. I went with an Enderle Bugcatcher FI setup running on gas. I was looking for anyone that had built this type of combo, found none. Then I was looking for advice on how to mount the hat to a 351W intake. Had a few ideas offered but ultimately we designed our own, sort of.

I was looking for a tunnel ram setup to mount this too. (After looking at some of the heated discussions on tunnel rams I'm almost afraid to post this, but oh well.) Well, we used a Wieand tunnel ram for a 289 / 302 and used the Price Motorsports adapter plates to mate it to the block. We then took the single carb top from the intake, cut it just above the intake mating surface, and created a sheet metal top with the Enderle mount built in. I ported the injectors to the bottom of the intake runners.

So far the result has been pretty darn Ok. So far, because it still hasn't been to the track yet. Ok because it runs very well. Other racers I know that have heard the engine and seen the short hits out in front of the house have predicted mid to high ten's in the 1/4.

I just wanted to post this up here because I was looking for help before and have created a solution. I think we should share the solutions to our problems. Plus, I love to talk about my car.

Murff
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	19114  
Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

That looks great! Very nice work!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Thanks (Video Links)

Appreciate the feedback. Here's a couple of youtube links if you would like to hear it run.

Murff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcazXFZLlRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvRcajeUNog

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.