Which Energizer Cam would you Recommend. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Energizer Cam would you Recommend.

Hi,

I would like to have your advise on which Camshaft to select for my engine:

1) Crane Energizer 266H,
2) Crane Energizer 272H,
3) Or another CAM.

What I'm after is:

1) Good Get Up and Go at the corner of the street.
2) If possible, Performance/Lumpy sound, I wouldn't want the car to be a Dog at low RPM.

My Engine & Car Specifications are follows:

1969 Camaro
TH350 Transmision with a shift kit.
Stock Stall Converter.
3.73 Eaton Posi Rear-End
Rear Tires: BF Goodrich Radial T/A 235/60R15, 26.1 Diameter.

1972 350 Engine (approx. 8.5:1)

Cylinder Heads, Rebuilt GM 333882, 76CC with 1.94 & 1.5 Valves and stock springs.
600 CFM Holley Carburator
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Dynomax Ceramic Coated Long-Tube Header, 1 5/8 " Primary Tubes, 3" Collectors.
Dual 2" Mufflers.

Does some of have had experiance with the above Energizer Camshafts in similar setup, If so, I would appreciate to hear some of your feedback and recommedation.

Thanks,
Daniel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`d recommend the comp cams H268, it has a lopey idle, but doesn`t kill low end torque.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:48 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I would recommend the Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 262H its a step under the XE268H but is more suited to your application. The XE262H specs are Dur. 262/270 and lift .462"/.469". It has great lowend and makes power up to around 5,700 RPMs. Will work great with your stock converter. You probably have seen a lot of magazines using the Xtreme Engergy 268H cam, but it does require a slightly higher than stock converter and a exhaust system larger than 2". The two Crane Cams you listed won't give you that lope that you want, they are both very tame cams.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:21 AM

(Comp) told me that the High Energy 268H cam would have a little rougher idle than the EX262 because of the valve event's wich make's for more overlap. Also i use to have an old mag article were a test was done on a 350sbc with the 268H vs, the EX268 cam's and the streight pattern 268H cam out performed better than the big oll EX268 split pattern pump stick. And the smaller 268H had a flatter torque curve wich is better for a daily driver street performer.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:33 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I would not go with either of those two Crane Cams either. I think both of the Comp Cams recommended could work. It's a matter of preference. One is a single pattern '268H' and the other is a dual-pattern 'XE262H' cam. I went with a dual-pattern cam almost exactly like the XE262H in my 302 with a stock bottom end, Performer RPM intake, and a Holley 670cfm Street Avenger carb into a C4 trans (stock converter) and a 3.70 posi 9-inch rear with approx. 26" tires. I swapped out the stock converter for a TCI Breakaway converter when I decided to go and play at the track last summer. With your engine done you may want to consider upgrading your converter too. If you keep it reasonable it will help your launch but not create excessive slippage. Nothing funnier than too much converter in a street car.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

DMorris I'm going to be ordering a TCI Breakaway converter in the very near future, seemed best suited for my application. Do you like yours?

Mike
Old 03-06-2004, 12:39 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
DMorris I'm going to be ordering a TCI Breakaway converter in the very near future, seemed best suited for my application. Do you like yours?

Mike
Yes I am very happy with mine. It is rated to stall between 2,200-2,400 in most small blocks, slightly higher in big blocks. Understand how much torque your engine applies will affect stall speed. I wanted to be able to pull the rpm's better when staging but still wanted to maintain driveability on the street. Under normal conditions she feels very similar to the stock converter, engages nice, launches smooth, and doesn't sound like a slipping clutch when I step on the gas pedal. But when I do pound her I can feel the difference. This guy I knew had a Malibu with so much stall that you could hear it revving every time he took off, if that is what you want you will need a higher stall. I wanted something that would provide some kick when needed but not burn up my trans fluid driving on the street regularly. It worked well for me.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.