Hot Rod Forum banner

Engine for 1940 Chevy coupe

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
Ok I have a 1940 Chevy coupe that I'm restoring. It's not a ratrod but more a Street Rod and I'm a little stuck on what motor to use. I'm stuck between an LS based motor such as a 5.3 LM7 or a 6.0 LQ9 or thinking about maybe going a little outta the box and putting in a 2JZ motor. I know either or can make gobs of power but What do yall think would be good?

#8 ·
If you were to put Fentons and run duals on the factory Chevy 216 6cyl it would sound pretty similar to the 2JZ.. No American automaker played with OHC, VVT, in any of the straight 6's they built so they were always limited.

I would run a 4.2L Jag with both Jag IRS and IFS.

#15 ·
I've told this story on here before, but it bears repeating....
When I was about 14 years old, my dad took me with him to a friend's house. Well, the friend had a friend who owned and showed up that day in a '40 Chevy coupe, solid black, pretty little car. There was a peculiar whine coming from the engine that I did not recognize. When he got the rig parked, my dad asked him to see the motor. Well, I guess it was just about the most unusual and prettiest thing I had ever seen so far in my short life. Come to find out that it was a GMC 302 inline 6, mounting a 6-71 GMC blower and on top of the blower were mounted five, yes 5..... 2-bbl Stromberg 97's. I was aghast. Never before or since have I experienced eye candy like that....

#16 ·
Yeah...., but....will a 5.3 or a 6.0 fit between the frame rails,down low enough to clear the trans tunnel, and can you get a radiator big enough to cool it to fit also. and will it all fit behind the grill?

I would get a tape measure out and do some checking.

I like the Idea of the 4200 inline from trailblazer. Plenty of them out there for parts. It may fit real well also.
It would be unique.

#20 ·
40 Coupe

Initial cost of an LS 5.3/4L60E is SOMEWHERE around $1200. Lets say it has 100K on it. If you put it in a street rod you will never live long enough to wear it out! Depending on gears it will deliver 22 plus MPG, have over 300 HP with many after market parts available. Many parts of the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 and 6.0 will interchange too. O.K, the intake is flat out ugly. Change to an aftermarket, LS1,smooth the truck intake or leave the hood closed! I chose to smooth the truck intake. There are many engine/trans choices today, many more than 20 years ago. Everyone's requirements will be a bit different. I chose longevity, power, smoothness, economy and availability of parts. Besides, I like fuel injection.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.