which engine? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2002, 01:42 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yeah, i know the feeling. btw, i ran a track meet in torrence in 1970 and couldn't see the end of the football field. hope the air's cleared up. any sbc engine will do then, throw in a rebuild kit w/pistons, new cam and lifters, alum.intake, headers, 4bbl and presto! want to go faster we been recommending vortec 64cc heads but they require vortec intakes and rocker arms. cost @$500 for the assembled pair or less. thats pretty much it and should still be less than a grand. people seem to like the comp cam (some dont) extreme268H or similar grind from crane or iskendarian. big block would be nice tho cost more for parts. same ol tired story:rebuild,cam,headers,4bbl,intake. it works. can find used parts all day long for even cheaper.

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 02:04 PM

where can i look for parts? im clueless, and dont know about any pick ur part yards around...but first i need to find a cheap deal on the body, i need to get my hands on the car before i start looking for parts....any ideas on that also?

thanks

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: deltr0n ]

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: deltr0n ]</p>
Old 10-03-2002, 05:28 PM

I'm happy to se everyone giving you such good ideas but it seems like every one thats talking small block is saying 383 kit personally (as much as i like the 383 that i own) I think destroking an engine would be better by destroking an engine you slow down the piston speed which lenthens the life of the parts as well as giving your motor more time to allow air and gas into the cylinder at very high rpm. To get to the point If I were you I'd look for a 350 block with 010 as the last 3 casting numbers these blocks usally have more nickel in them and can stand up to the high rpm use without much cylinder wear. Next I'd find a 262 chevy v8 crankshaft with it's 3.10 stroke it will yeild 312 cubes in a 350 block (did i mention the mains are the same so it will drop right in no mods) to keep cost down I'd use LT4 rods from scoggin dickie their 5.94 lenth will yeild about a 1.6 rod ratio (a good thing) and I'd you KB or sivo-lite pistons for a 302 chevy. then just bolt on a set of decent heads and you've got an 8000rpm import killer that wont fly apart or need a rebuild in 6 months
Old 10-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Buy a complete 454, freshen it up a bit, maybe add a nice little cam, some headers and buy a nitrous plate system. Fast, cheap and easy!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:34 PM

kool, i might just go with your idea destroked, and thats relatively cheap right? any ideas on where i should go to try and find that 350 block with 010 as the last 3 casting numbers? oh and i had another question about the gauges, i've only seen 1 car with it and it was online, but he had a completely different cluster, it was more modern like cars today, with the 3 circles, i didnt see it up close, but i would definitely rather have that than the stock cluster it comes with, anyone know where i can find that?

thanks again!

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: deltr0n ]</p>
Old 10-03-2002, 10:36 PM

if you dont weant the work of puttin a bb in go with a 327 or or the all world famous 350, and buy a 383 stroker kit for it with forged pistons, and put a 278 + duratoin cam, with a 2500 stall converter and a good manifold, and carb and you can have you a rather cheap and rather powerfull motor at close to my guess 400+ - hp. get a 350 and go shopin on ebay for your parts, they are cheap and high qaulity items as in jegs or summit racing. good luck
Old 10-04-2002, 02:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just so that my answer is not the same as everyone elses here's my two cents.

Buy your Nova looking only at body condition, try to find one with a crapped out engine and trans for the best deal.

Troll the classifieds for used two or three year 4.3 litre V6 Chevy engines, get a complete wreck if you can. A late model mid size pick up will have a good 5 speed and engine combo that would drop into that Nova and with modern electronics be powerful and economical. A Nova is the same suspension wise as a Camaro basically and having a light motor up front with some suspension goodies later you could have a neat modern street rod that could have been built by GM today.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:07 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by deltr0n:
dont know about any pick ur part yards around...

Was just in LA area last week, think I saw a Pick Your Part yard on Beach Blvd in the area if Buena Park or Stanton. Nice landscaped area with brick wall around it. MUCH different than the wrecking yards (oops, automotive recylers)that we have in this area. Think Pick Your Parts headquarters are in the LA area too, should be in the phone book. Good Luck.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:35 AM

I just finished a 350 and, hopefully, install this week or next. I added all the invoices and came to $2800.00.

4 bolt main
Balanced
Bored .030
Speed Pro Cam
Edlebrock Carb, Intake & valve covers
Vortec heads
Flat top pistons 9.5:1
Roller tip rockers
gaskets
oil pump
flywheel
water pump

I think I'll probably spend about $3000.00 by the time I get installed depending on other miscellaneous parts.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:19 AM

A man named Smokey, I think everyone knows who he is was the all time guru on small blocks. In the early seventies, he had an article on rebuilding a 400 h.p. small block using factory available parts. Check with Hot Rod Mag for back issues, they may still have that article. Anyway, if I were you, I would go with the small block. They are cheap to build, can have lots of power, and can be found just about anywhere. If you go 350, definately get the 010 castng, you will be glad you did.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:39 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

smokey just died: RIP!,
Destroked, that's the first i've heard from a 383 owner and it doesn't sound like much of a recommendation! i dont think many of us want to tear our motor apart on a yearly basis! i wore my 350 out in 5 years and thought that was early!
Old 10-04-2002, 03:39 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff 1943:
If you go 350, definately get the 010 castng, you will be glad you did.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

what is so different about the casting on a 010 than other small block castings.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:19 PM

Different Slider Mr Bullheimer.

O.K deltrOn go here;

<a href="http://www.toppingevents.com/HiPerfMain.html" target="_blank">http://www.toppingevents.com/HiPerfMain.html</a>

This will get you started next weekend and it's not very far from the house. Just don't run over me in your rush to get started. Please.

You'll find tons of stuff there to get you thinking and planning.

As far as yards go, hit the Auto Recycler and go to the print ads in the back. Do the phone book thing and find Ecology Wrecking to start with. Lots to do where you are.

Happy Hunting

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: slider ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.