which engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post which engine?

sup guys, im a noob to this board, and im going to be purchasing a 72 nova ss(hopefully), and was wondering which engine i should buy for it to work up. i dont know much about muscle car engines, i know more about import ones....but i have decided to get my hands on a nova to show them ricers whats up, plus i really like the 72 nova, and 67 camaros, but the nova is more in my price range! haha but yeah any info would be greatly appreiated.

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 01:08 PM

awww, nobody wants to help me? cmon, i wanna learn!!
Old 10-01-2002, 01:23 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Take it easy dude! Give the people time to respond! Some times it takes 24 hours.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

what engine's in the car right now? a 350 chevy never fails. pick up any Chevy High Performance magazine and you'll probably find tips on building them up.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:37 PM

haha, sorry bro, but im anxious to find out any info i can. oh yeah i completely forgot about mags...thanks red. oh and im not sure about what engine would be in it IF any, the cheaper the better. i was thinking of just buying one w/o engine and either building one from scratch or buying a new one, but the sooner the better because its going to be my daily driver, but then i want some POWER! so yeah i dunno....

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: deltr0n ]</p>
Old 10-01-2002, 04:34 PM

Talking

deltr0n,

I had a 72 Nova and the nice thing about them is you can use either a Big Block Or Small block. If you can get your hands on a 396 CI, 427 CI, or a 454 CI big block it will make the Nova Scream !!!
If you can get your hands on a small block which is what my Nova had, 283 CI, 327 CI, 350CI and build the engine it will be very fast also.
Small block parts are cheaper and more plentiful, But a big block with a nice cam, good intake manifold and carb, even with factory oval port heads will make a lot of HP and Torque. Hope this helps. Look on E-Bay they have good prices on built motors.

Joe

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: bigjoedo ]</p>
Old 10-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Small block chevy is the most readily availble and cheap in the aftermarket stuff. I would suggest getting a good 4 bolt 350 block and buying a 383 kit for it. This consist of a 3.75 stroke crank over the stock 350 3.5. This is a combo that has been proven effective on the street and the track many many times. I would venture to say that in this day and age it might be the most built sbc out there. I would go with a set of Edelbrock Aluminum, Iron Sportman II, or TFS heads. All of these heads will make good power on the street and are fairly cheap. Top it with a Edelbrock air gap intake and a HOlley, or Barry Grant 750cfm carb, and you got 450HP pretty easy.

chris
Old 10-01-2002, 07:48 PM

THANK YOU!! both of you have been very informative, thats exactly what i wanted to know. if i DO get one that has an engine in it already, are any of the parts keepable? or should i just get all new? and if i do go for one w/o an engine already, i've seen them for about 500, because i want to restore it myself, then how much an i looking at for a new engine? (preferably one that you guys have listed) just some ranges would be helpfull, or some sites i can check out.

thanks again
chad
Old 10-02-2002, 05:17 AM

You stated you wanted to restore a nova, now restore means back to original. Are you wanting to restore or build-up? If your wanting to build-up a nova well the sky's the limit on these cars. These make great street and strip cars. If I had the chance and didn't care about fuel mileage I'd go with a 396, but to be practical you can choose many engines and H.P. ranges. Go to <a href="http://www.chevy350engines.com" target="_blank">www.chevy350engines.com</a> this has a list of crate engines and you can get some idea of the power curves and h.p. ranges. I think they also have big blocks.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:03 AM

well, more like build up, but then as for body work and stuff, restoring it, and maybe add a few things. thanks for the link
Old 10-02-2002, 01:19 PM

You have lots of places to start looking if you really are in the L.A. area. The last time we went south we found eleven 68/72 Nova 2 drs for sale between 250 and 5000. All of them were in the same condition, tired, just different owners.

Hit the Veteran's Stadium show up, some reasonable deals wind up there from time to time, Pomona is a waste as every thing for sale seemingly was platinum plated at the gate and is priced accordingly.

I was at a 'Pull Ur Part' yard a week ago and there was a 70/72 Firebird complete and straight with a $995 price in the window. That was in Sun Valley. Good engines and trans's are available early in the week before the hordes attack Saturday and Sunday, but you MUST take the time to check things out. Take some knowledgeable help with you if you are just getting started.

Happy hunting and welcome to the wonderful world of "Just how damn fast will this thing really go anyway"?

Old 10-02-2002, 01:25 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

dont know if you want a crate engine or not if you do its gmpp ht383 p/n 12497317 $3,895 at Scoggin-Dickey. ps. that's a high torque (444 lbs) 383 stroker from the Gen. can get at your local chebby dealer if you wanna save shipping and pay MORE.
HEY SLIDER, WHERE'D YER TRUCK GO?

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>
Old 10-02-2002, 03:41 PM

yes im really in the L.A. area, im in torrance to be exact. and thats all i really want is a cheap nova around 500 bucks to start out with, but i dont have enough for a $4000 engine to drop in, the cheaper i can get the car for the more i can spend on an engine, but im looking to spend no more than $1000 at the moment (maybe a little more like $1500). you know any places to look around here? im lost. oh and where did you find those novas? $250 thats a great deal, i wish there was one around here that i knew of.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: deltr0n ]</p>
Old 10-03-2002, 12:25 PM

can anyone else add to this?
Old 10-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Bullheimer, did i loose my truck again??? Every time i have a few, That truck gets lost.Ha Ha Ha.
Looking at nothing other than cost, i don`t think you can beat the small block Chev , with its never ending options. Good luck and keep us posted.
Slider in Wa.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.