Engine for a 48 OLDS Fastback - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 06:53 AM
Air Trans

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Go for it great potential.

Check out this link.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/48olds12398.html

I would go for an olds 455, not much heavier than SBC an tons of torque stock close to 500ft/lbs. No boat anchor there.

Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 05:32 PM

Realistically would this size of a motor be worth the gas it would probably guzzle.
I would like something that I could use as a daily driver.

Also What kind of Transmissions would I be able to mate with this motor. I was thinking of something with overdrive to save on the gas going down the highway.

Thanks
Eric
Old 03-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Daily driver...go Chevy 350/350 turbo........Sorry, all you Old's lovers..
Old 03-29-2004, 06:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenandrews
Realistically would this size of a motor be worth the gas it would probably guzzle.
I would like something that I could use as a daily driver.

Also What kind of Transmissions would I be able to mate with this motor. I was thinking of something with overdrive to save on the gas going down the highway.
Your gas mileage will be directly related to how heavy your foot is.

I'm no Olds expert but I believe you could hook up a modern 700R trans with overdrive to the 455 with no trouble at all.

Although the 350/350 combo would be reliable for a street cruiser, it would also be just another "cookie cutter" street rod. The SBC has been done to death, that's why people yawn when they look in the engine compartment of most street rods.

Centerline
Old 03-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

YAWN.........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz

But dependable as heck.....................
Old 03-29-2004, 07:48 PM

Centerline said: Your gas mileage will be directly related to how heavy your foot is.

Now I know he was kidding on that one. But now wouldn't even at idle the larger engine burn more gas. And how much?

I would like the large motor for the sound and one of a kindness. But, I am trying to think practical.

Any input I can get would be helpful.

Also where is a good place to start looking for motors and transmissions. Online around town? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question I just have no clue where to begin when it comes to finding an Engine.

Thanks Again for the replies
Eric
Old 03-30-2004, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenandrews
Centerline said: Your gas mileage will be directly related to how heavy your foot is......Now I know he was kidding on that one.
Actually it depends on your foot and how you have the engine set up. A mild 455 (stock cam and small 4 bbl. with headers and dual exhaust) can get better mileage than a performance built small block Chevy (rumpy cam, 10:1 compression, big valve heads, medium 4 bbl. etc.). Why? Because the big motor doesn't have to work as hard to haul all that metal around like the small block does. If both engines are built along the same lines then in most cases the small block will get better MPG. Then again, if you have a heavy foot neither one will give you good mileage.

Things to consider when choosing a power plant: What type of driving do you plan to do. Mostly around town? A trip to the track on weekends? Highway cruiser? Also how many miles do you plan on driving it? If you plan on a lot of long distance trips or putting a lot of miles on the car each year then maybe a small block would be the best choice. If you're not going to drive the car more than 5000 miles a year than the extra "fun" factor of the big block would make sense. Especially when you cruise the local shows on the weekends.

As I've said before, I'm an advocate of being a bit original when it comes to building a rod. Sure the small block Chevy is reliable but so are most of the other V8's out there. It's been my experience that people choose the SBC simply because parts are cheap and plentiful. What they fail to realize is that for some of the more original motors, parts aren't hard to find either. You can pick up anything for a 455 you're going to need on a routine basis at any local parts store, just like the SBC.

Then, of course you have the exotics like Hemis, the 348/409's, Buick Nailheads, and Flathead Fords. These engines, although reliable will cost an order of magnitude more to rebuild and keep running than a SBC. People choose them for one of two reasons. Either because of their horsepower potential or the "wow" factor.

Personally I'd rather have someone peek into my engine compartment and go, "wow, look at that", rather than just glance in and then move on. It doesn't take a lot go get that reaction, but unless you've got deep pockets and can afford some exotic induction system and a lot of chrome, you'll never get that with a SBC.

Now that I've made my case, figure out what you want to do with the car and how you're going to drive it and go with what you believe is the engine that will meet you're requirements. And by all means and most importantly, have fun.

Centerline
Old 03-30-2004, 10:12 PM

I appreciate the insite and the lengthy reply Centerline.

I will mostly be driving this car around town. But I don't want it for dragging or racing. Just to tool around and maybe occasionally go on a short little road trip now and then.

I have also be considering the fact that I would like something that is one of a kind and something that would go along with the car. An olds for and olds.

I guess I am going to go for the 455. Would someone be able to give me some information on these engines. Also I have begun to wonder what sort of Transmission would be recommended a manual or Automatic or does it really matter.

One more question that is all will this engine in stock form give me that rummble that I would like to have. So everyone would no I pulled up when I arrive at there house. Or does that require something extra.

thanks again
Eric
Old 03-31-2004, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

To begin with you really don't have to go all the way to the 455 to get a unique Oldsmobile big block in there. There are several factory high performance big blocks that preceded it that would be excellent choices if you don't want or need the big torque numbers the 455 offers. Here is a link to a Olds 442 history page which gives a quick outline of all the factory high performance big blocks Olds offered from '64-'73 from the small block 330 (not recommended) all the way to the 455. The 455 was just the last version. The factory offered some over the counter goodies to spruce up these engines and I'm sure if you do a search on the web you'll find places that still offer the same cam grinds that were available as an option from Olds back then. Even with the stock factory high performance cam it will sound pretty good and if you replace it with one of the factory optional grinds even better plus it will still be drivable.

If it were me based on what you've said you want to do with the car, I'd go with the TH-350 or 400 trans and a 3.50 or 3.23 geared rear end for a nice cruiser. Although you could just as easily bolt up a 4 speed. I'm not sure if any of the late model 5 or 6 speeds will work though. Also, I'm no expert on GM transmissions but the 700R4 may bolt up also.

Happy shopping.

Centerline

Last edited by Centerline; 03-31-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.